Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I eat my r6
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got new pirelli diablo rosso corsa tires installed on my 09 r6 stock rims. Replaced the stock dunlop tires with them because I wore my rear tire down to the wire. After installing the wheels with new tires my bike feels considerably heavier than it did before when I lean it up from the side stand... any ideas why? The bare tire didn't seem much heavier than stock:D

·
Registered
319 Posts
Riding the bike on tires, down to the wire, has created some extra internal tire material to separate and bond to the inside of your stock rims. That's where the extra weight feel has come from. Getting yourself a new set of carbon fiber rims will offset the added weight and restore your bike's feel to that of stock.

·
Registered
484 Posts
You're probably just noticing the more rounded profile from your old worn ones. It feels like it wants to fall over easier and is thus "harder" to lift up on new tires with a proper curve than old ones with a flatter profile.

·
I eat my r6
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh ya that makes sense. So you figure once I wear these new ones down a bit it should start feeling about the same. Oh and to bmw I doubt my rims are full of rubber the guy that mounted my new tires would of cleaned any out. What mott power said actually makes the most sense now that I think about it. The excess weight is just because there is 3 times as muh rubber on them compared to old tires.

·
I eat my r6
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also one more question about the rear wheel spacers. Does it matter which sides each one goes on. I just put them back on whatever side just like the front. Im pretty sure there isn't a specific side for each spacer can someone confirm this?

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Riding the bike on tires, down to the wire, has created some extra internal tire material to separate and bond to the inside of your stock rims. That's where the extra weight feel has come from. Getting yourself a new set of carbon fiber rims will offset the added weight and restore your bike's feel to that of stock.
This.

Also, have you done a proper burn out since the install of the new tire? Doing a burn out is the only way to get rid of that pesky mold release compound on the tires. A 2-3 minute burnout should do the trick.

·
I eat my r6
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol it's my first time taking wheels off and putting back on just make sure I'm not doing something wrong. It seems like the spacers aren't side specific but it doesn't hurt to ask these Japanese bikes don't behave well when parts are out of order.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Lol it's my first time taking wheels off and putting back on just make sure I'm not doing something wrong. It seems like the spacers aren't side specific but it doesn't hurt to ask these Japanese bikes don't behave well when parts are out of order.

I believe the rear ones could be a hair different. My oak had his switched and the sprocket would wear super bad on the inside only. He went through a ton of em till he switched the spacers back. :shrug:

:YEA

·
I ride my wife and her R6
101 Posts
Being in Sask, you should have that pesky round profile off that tire in no time. The recommended burn out will definitely help with that and restore that squared off feeling you are used to.

I'm pretty sure the rear spacers are side specific. It will definitely be out of wack if you mixed them up.

·
Registered
484 Posts
If you have an R6R then they are side specific: flatter one goes on brake side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts