Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I wanna go fast
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more a question for the experienced guys out there. When breaking in a new set of street tires I noticed they didnt want to hug as tight on a 45 degree angle (intersection) as they do on a normal curve, and even experience some fork wobble if I hit the corner hard enough. So the question is is there any special technique for prepping new street tires for use (scrubbed them already kinda wondering if I should do a light sand to remove some factory finish right at the outside edge to make them stick better) or should I just leave the low cornering for more gradual bends at higher speeds?
BTW tires are warmed up well before trying the 45's and road is flat, warm, dry and clear of gravel. Rear tire still has under 100 miles on it front only about 200.

·
I wanna go fast
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dunlop Q2 in the front Bridgestone battleaxe in the rear both a little new for anything to wild, but dont want to sell them short on a good break in either.

·
Derp
1,308 Posts
Dunlop Q2 in the front Bridgestone battleaxe in the rear both a little new for anything to wild, but dont want to sell them short on a good break in either.
Tires are already broke in, it could be anything from body positioning to tire pressure to suspension to throttle control.

Tires break-in at about 10 miles now. IF THAT. They stopped putting the chemicals on them about 2-3 years ago that required the longer break in period.

·
Bluer Than You!
1,595 Posts
You shouldn't mis-match front and rear. Just saying. Tires are made to work together. But as said, it could be body position, tire pressure, suspension, or throttle contol

Oh and take some of that to the track. I see to many get offs from someone trying to be Rossi on the backroads :(

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
BTW tires are warmed up well before trying the 45's and road is flat, warm, dry and clear of gravel. Rear tire still has under 100 miles on it front only about 200.
What's your gauge for having the tires properly warmed up and what tire pressures are you running? Are they tacky to the touch and is the rubber balling up and peeling off at the treads? If not, they're not all the way warmed up. If you're not running the right tire pressures, they're never going to warm up all the way.

You've got to be working pretty damn hard to get a tire properly warmed up, and it's REALLY hard to actually ride hard enough out on the streets to get the proper amount of heat into a tire.

I'm mostly just making a long-winded point that if you're not aware of all this stuff, listen to SIKBlU's advice and get a few track days under your belt where you'll learn about all this stuff and learn how to listen to what your bike is telling you and what you need to do to fix it, before you end up binning it up on the street.

·
Registered
285 Posts
what's your gauge for having the tires properly warmed up and what tire pressures are you running? Are they tacky to the touch and is the rubber balling up and peeling off at the treads? If not, they're not all the way warmed up. If you're not running the right tire pressures, they're never going to warm up all the way.

You've got to be working pretty damn hard to get a tire properly warmed up, and it's really hard to actually ride hard enough out on the streets to get the proper amount of heat into a tire.

I'm mostly just making a long-winded point that if you're not aware of all this stuff, listen to sikblu's advice and get a few track days under your belt where you'll learn about all this stuff and learn how to listen to what your bike is telling you and what you need to do to fix it, before you end up binning it up on the street.

qft

·
I wanna go fast
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont live where there is a track available (Hawaii) as to earlier comments I guage the warm up time by a fast ride down the highway (about 20 miles before any twists and turns, and tire is warm and tacky to the touch) could use a few pointers on weight distribution and anything dealing with lean angles I have ridden and built choppers here just kinda new to the sport bike scene (not new to motorcycles just new tires) track days being impossible at the moment any constructive advice?

·
Bluer Than You!
1,595 Posts
I dont live where there is a track available (Hawaii) as to earlier comments I guage the warm up time by a fast ride down the highway (about 20 miles before any twists and turns, and tire is warm and tacky to the touch) could use a few pointers on weight distribution and anything dealing with lean angles I have ridden and built choppers here just kinda new to the sport bike scene (not new to motorcycles just new tires) track days being impossible at the moment any constructive advice?
Wear your gear. Helmet, gloves, padded jacket, and motorcycle boots. There are a couple books you can read. "Twist of The Wrist" and "Twist of The Wrist II"

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Support your body with your legs and core. You shouldn't have any weight on your hands / wrists. You want to be able to let of the clip-ons at any point, and the rest of your body shouldn't care.

Carrying greater corner speed (and more lean angle) is going to come from being smooth and keep your vision up as far ahead as possible. Twist of the Wrist should be good for teaching you about that stuff.

·
I wanna go fast
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the insight guys I know my posture changes alot from highway to twisties but the advice about keeping my weight off my hands is helpfull, used to ride a chopper so the ease of manuevering that comes with the sport bike tends to throw me off a bit at times Im gonna go pick that book up 2 as more than one person recommended it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts