Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going for my first track day Sep 1st. From reading the information on the net, many places want 95% new tires on the bike. I fully understand that bad tires will surely cause an accident or worse.

Am I to assume that every single full track day that I will attend I'm going to have to purchase new tires? I don't expect to ride hard since I'm a beginner but begginer to intermediate riding would require this?

If so, how do people afford track days when they pay 200 - 300 for the track day plus another 350 for set of tires?

I'm not planning to ride my R6 on the streets much and it would become my dedicated track bike.

·
Will work for track time
19,491 Posts
Welcome to the addiction :fact

Tires are the most expensive thing next to admission. Depending on how many you do, you can use the same tires for a while. MOST inspections are pretty chill. I also think what counts the most is the tread on the sides since, well, you are not at the track to go straight!

Most places also have tires shops in the event you don't have enough rubber on your tires.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
without warmers, a generator, and stands, it's better to run an aggressive street tire like the PP 2CT. race tires don't like the continual heat cycles of 7 sessions/day and will tend to go bad rather quickly. i have 2.5 track days on my 2CTs and will probably run them a couple more times. next season i plan to invest in warmers n' such...

·
Custom User Title
1,824 Posts
first time out? as long as you don't show the wear bars or are close to the end of the life of the tire you'll be fine.

and the comment about using 2ct's. eventually you will get fast enough where a 2ct will not cut it. it will jeapordize your contact to the ground. after a few days i suggest you stick to race rubber. I love the dunlop UK 209's and michelin pr5 and prc front's. but as of late i've stuck with the dunlop's, i seem to be getting more days out of 1 set than the michilins

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys. I am looking into the Bridgestone BT002 based on some feedback on the various forums. I am looking into track days where we ride for 20 minutes per hour, 8 sessions per day. I probably will be riding once a month for now.

For now I'm not looking into slicks race track only tires. I will need to use the tires for occasional ride on the streets.

Any advise as to where to purchase the tires to save money? Sometimes I find good prices on the internet, shipping sucks. I live in Los Angeles if that helps.

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
first time out? as long as you don't show the wear bars or are close to the end of the life of the tire you'll be fine.

and the comment about using 2ct's. eventually you will get fast enough where a 2ct will not cut it. it will jeapordize your contact to the ground. after a few days i suggest you stick to race rubber. I love the dunlop UK 209's and michelin pr5 and prc front's. but as of late i've stuck with the dunlop's, i seem to be getting more days out of 1 set than the michilins
+100 eventually street rubber won't cut it.

The number of trackdays you get out of a set of tires really depends on the pace you run and the track surface that you are running on. Some tracks are really hard on tires other tracks hardly wear on the tires. I usually get two track days out of a set of race rubber.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts