Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... yesterday I was washing my bike and waxing the chain ... when my cousin came over and was chilling with me outside. Out of no where he says to me "whats that shiny piece of metal stuck in your rear tire??" ... I grab a pair of needle nose pliers and this is what i pull out **see picture attached**

I still do not know how the heck that thing got stuck in there?! Nail i could see... but a flat blade like that??? :confused::confused:

Anyway ... just about 95% of the blade was inside the tire and almost flush with the tire ... I don't think it's leaking any air but ... my cousin was saying he's worried about how the tire could potentially blow. (i.e. when the tires get hot, heat expands the air and depending on how much rubber is left... he doesn't see how there could be much left since that thing was practically all the way in

So... is it time to get new tires ?? ( :dunce: only a lil over 3000 miles on these tires too!!) If so ... what tires do you guys recommend that would be good on the street and the track ? If i get new tires before the July 4th track day (only for Sat & Sun) ... will i need to get new tires AFTER again?? (Novice class, first time tracker)

Ahhh.. more money i need to spend !!

Attachments

·
Baa Whaaaaa
142 Posts
Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs all the way

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A lot of people are recommending that over on the other forums too ... must be a good tire =)

What tire size do you guys usually run? Stock tire sizes or it depends?

·
Baa Whaaaaa
142 Posts
Stock sizes mate

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
I have always used Dunlop Qualifiers... never had a problem with them. They are great quality and affordable. I have thought about trying out the new pirelli Rosso's, but I am satified with my Q's.
On the track question. I haven't riden the track myself. But I know a couple people that have, and if you're a novice you might be able to get a few more miles out of your track set. Would it be better to remove them bytches and put a new set on for the street and run those ones again the next time you get on the track. Yes. Do you HAVE to... NOPE. It's up to you man. If they look shoddy after your track day. Put new ones on. If you think they're okay, and you're comfortable riding with them. Have at it.
Goodluck. Tell us what you end up doin and take lots of pics to share at your trackday.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah .. I think thats what I'm with... Now i just gotta find a place that sells them cheap and learn how to change my tires =P

·
Who eats a motorcycle?
3,096 Posts
i woudlnt risk it and id get new tires

im a big fan of pilot powers!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
shopping around now and looking into how to change the tires .... just read your thread about you wanting to change your own tires too Catch. How'd it go?

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you are going on track and street I would recommend the Pirelli Diablo Corsa III. They're race compound on the edges and regular sport tire in the center (same as Michelin Pilot Power 2CT).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts