Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
before i got my new front tire i would take corners super sharp and my knee would almost touch the ground. Now with this new front tire my r6 seams unstable and it also feels i cant take sharp turns without wrecking . can someone tell me if i can still take sharp turns as sharp or do i got to break them in again

·
Sex and Bikes Go Together
1,222 Posts
you have to break in new tires, some of my friends rub fine sand paper to get the layer of silicon off, one of my friends said go on a gravel road. Personally the tire guy said it would be ok after about 100 miles. I'll take it easy until the 500 mile mark (because I've heard that too) then I'd let it rip.
To be honest I just replaced my rear tire and I can tell already it's getting better at 60 miles in on it. I tried the first day felt it sleep. Now I can lean further without it slipping. So I think 100 miles while gradually leaning within your comfort zone mind you

·
So Fast So Clean
554 Posts
lol. I don't think I could go easy on a set of tires for 500 miles. They'd be used up by then. Well, not in the middle. I just do figure 8's in a parking lot for 5-10 minutes. By then the "mold release" is gone. :D

Look at your front tire. If it still looks shiny and new on the sides (contact patch when leaned over), then you should take a bunch of turns and progressively lean more each time. Or take some sand paper to it. I've always thought about doing that, but never had any issues doing figure 8's. :D

·
Just passing through.
453 Posts
take some 180 grit to it, or even one of those 3M red scouring pads. *shrug* gets it off pretty quick.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
What kind of tire? Shouldnt have that problem with PowerPro's. At least I didnt
You mean Pures.

Just be nice for a little bit and you'll be fine. As everyone else said.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
Your first post implies that you bought new, non-stock tires. :dunce:

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
there's no mold release agents anymore, as long as you let them warm up to operating temperature, they should work about the same. Even if u have 100-500 miles on a tire without leaning much, when u do start leaning, the tires are still new at the sides, dont mean they'll slip. Just make sure they get warmed up before any spirited riding.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
So you replaced your stock tires with... stock tires?

·
Registered
365 Posts
there's no mold release agents anymore, as long as you let them warm up to operating temperature, they should work about the same. Even if u have 100-500 miles on a tire without leaning much, when u do start leaning, the tires are still new at the sides, dont mean they'll slip. Just make sure they get warmed up before any spirited riding.
:stupic

this guy knows whats up.

·
^ Matt
5,011 Posts
+1
my new rear tire had no chicken strips the 1st day I put it on.. well at least on the left side.. I cant seem to find some non blind right hand corners where i live.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Something that may be throwing you off is the sharper profile of the newer tires. Your older tires were more worn down in the middle. With a newer tire, your bike will turn in more easily with less effort b/c the center hasnt been worn yet.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,242 Posts
Just to add a disclaimer: While this is true for most tire companies, Michelin still refers to mold release on thier website for break in periods.
http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/f...codePage=8092004155045_16092004175457&lang=EN

I do not know if they have discontinued its use or not, but all the other major brands have claimed they do not use it anymore.

To the OP: If I was to make an educated guess, I'd say;
1. Place your right forefinger on your right temple.
2. Place your left forefinger on your left temple.
3. The problem is most likely somewhere between your finger tips.
;)

:poke

Dunlop's explanation for one of the reasons for their "run in" period is so you can get used to the feel of the new tires. This is a big part of it. I generally run about 20 miles, on the street, leaning more and more progressively (on track I'll take 2-3 warm up laps). Once the tire is up to temp, your good to go as far as grip is concerned.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
This guy is a winner.. :popcorn:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts