Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup guys I got my first Motorcycle yesterday. Its a Silver 08 R6 never rode anything with 2 wheels but surprising I havent stalled yet driving around my neighborhood but just wanted to see if you guys had any advise for me being a newbie haha and not really knowing much and thank you in advance

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
I won't sugar coat this. You won't like the advice, but park the R6 and get a 250. The R6 is too much bike for a beginner. It will get an experienced rider in over his head faster than you can think.

Now, I know you won't listen, so be careful and wear good gear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I won't sugar coat this. You won't like the advice, but park the R6 and get a 250. The R6 is too much bike for a beginner. It will get an experienced rider in over his head faster than you can think.

Now, I know you won't listen, so be careful and wear good gear.

No I appreciate it completely thank you for the advice I need honest stuff

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
No I appreciate it completely thank you for the advice I need honest stuff
I'm glad you take it in the spirit it is given. The R6 is a great machine, one of the best track bikes you can buy right off the showroom floor. But is is very touchy. When it hits 8000rpm you had better be ready for what comes next. Riding a motorcycle requires years to get your reactions right, and to make it worse, your natural reactions are almost always the exact opposite of what you should do.

Take a MSF course at a minimum. Wear good gear, and try to keep the tach below 8000. Find an empty parking lot and practice figure 8's and panic stops. Then practice some more panic stops. When a minivan turns left in front of you - and I promise - it WILL happen, is not the time to learn how to use the brakes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm glad you take it in the spirit it is given. The R6 is a great machine, one of the best track bikes you can buy right off the showroom floor. But is is very touchy. When it hits 8000rpm you had better be ready for what comes next. Riding a motorcycle requires years to get your reactions right, and to make it worse, your natural reactions are almost always the exact opposite of what you should do.

Take a MSF course at a minimum. Wear good gear, and try to keep the tach below 8000. Find an empty parking lot and practice figure 8's and panic stops. Then practice some more panic stops. When a minivan turns left in front of you - and I promise - it WILL happen, is not the time to learn how to use the brakes.

Thank you this is great advice! The First advise my Grandpa gave me was to ride like im invisible because not many people look out for riders.

·
Registered
32 Posts
FZ1 is right, practice on an empty parking lot and do loads of panic stops because like he said you will have to slow down a lot with all the people out there that cant drive to save their life, the throttle is very touchy and the power does push you back. I started on an r6a month ago and have been daily driving the bike for a month and haven't had any issues(thank god) but I don't do stupid things on it, I leave loads of space and do the speed limit, on a daily basis it stays under 8k when I'm going to work or school.
JUST take it easy.

·
07 Blue R6
222 Posts
More like once you hit 6000rpms. Have you driven a vtech from honda yet? My friends kicks in at 5 or 6krpms. I like to see the r6 the same way. It feels like the vtech kicks in at 6krpms on the R6. If you hold the throttle steady, once it hits 6000 it blasts off. The R6 was my first motorcycle, but I've ridden dirt bikes my life so I was fine. Very easy to ride and everything. I took the course at the DMV which was soooo easy. Learned a bit. Now I only ride track. The streets are scary, dangerous, and no fun once you ride the track. 2 days at the track and I haven't been back on the streets. I'm glad.
Seriously, wear gear. Good gear too, don't go off-brand names. Helmet, jacket, boots, gloves. Atleast helmet gloves and jacket all the time. Wear work boots or something. When I got ready for the track I would wear my 1piece suit on the road to break it in and actually i felt really comfortable because I knew I was well protected.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya I got gear with my R6 i really appreciate your guys advice its much stuff i plan in keeping in mind. I plan on riding it around close to home for a month or until im completely confident i can ride it before using it as my daily

·
Registered
32 Posts
More like once you hit 6000rpms. Have you driven a vtech from honda yet? My friends kicks in at 5 or 6krpms. I like to see the r6 the same way. It feels like the vtech kicks in at 6krpms on the R6. If you hold the throttle steady, once it hits 6000 it blasts off. The R6 was my first motorcycle, but I've ridden dirt bikes my life so I was fine. Very easy to ride and everything. I took the course at the DMV which was soooo easy. Learned a bit. Now I only ride track. The streets are scary, dangerous, and no fun once you ride the track. 2 days at the track and I haven't been back on the streets. I'm glad.
Seriously, wear gear. Good gear too, don't go off-brand names. Helmet, jacket, boots, gloves. Atleast helmet gloves and jacket all the time. Wear work boots or something. When I got ready for the track I would wear my 1piece suit on the road to break it in and actually i felt really comfortable because I knew I was well protected.

HAHAHA you are so right man, I had an acura rsx with 320whp all motor and at 6000 hell broke loose, didn't use the vtec analogy like you did but awesome way to put it, only thing is vtec without the h vtech is a phone brand.

·
07 Blue R6
222 Posts
HAHAHA you are so right man, I had an acura rsx with 320whp all motor and at 6000 hell broke loose, didn't use the vtec analogy like you did but awesome way to put it, only thing is vtec without the h vtech is a phone brand.
Using my phone. Probably auto corrected it. But that's the way I think of it. My friend has an Acura rsx type s or something and he lets me whip it hahaha so yeah

·
Registered
188 Posts
Look both ways before crossing intersections, especially when you're the first vehicle at the front of the line when the light turns green. Don't worry about how fast any of your buddies ride or how many wheelies they do on their way to work. Always ride below your limits and ALWAYS wear gear, even if you're just going down the street.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts