Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding for no more than 2 months. So far I've just been borrowing my cousins old YZF600R. But for the past week he's been letting me give is 03 R6 a try and to be honest...I feel very comfortable (maybe even more than the 600) on it. The original deal was for me to "evaluate" the YZF600R to see if I'd like to buy it off him as a learner bike and get the kinks out before I step up to a new..or somewhat new R6. Now, I'm having question whether I want to spend the money on his 600r and instead go for say a very slightly used 2002-03. Suggestions?

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
If you feel comfortable on the R6 then go for it but realize that either bike can be dangerous if you aren't cautious when learning to ride (the R6 is also going ot be more expensive to fix if you drop it while learning). If you haven't taken an MSF course, I would recommend one. I'm going to be taking another class come spring time as well as some lessons and track time through www.nesba.com to make myself a better and much more aware rider. The R6 has far more capabilities than we can ever hope to use, atleast IMO, unless you are a certified racer with sponsporship. Take your time and respect the bike and your abilities. Don't try and show off to a bunch of chics or something (or anyone for that matter) and try and pull a wheelie cuz you'll either loop it or drop it on the way down and that would impress anyone.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
penefold, thanks for the reply. Yes, I have taken the MSF course (very helpful). I realize I'm still a new rider, I may just ride it out on the 600 for a bit longer. You crack me up w/ the impressing chicks part...maybe 10 years ago I'd have to worry about that...I think I'm a little more tame now :mrgreen:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts