Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Schrute Farms Beets
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Little about me, I'm new to the sportbike scene but not new to bikes in general. I'm 22 , grew up in southern West Virginia, and i'm currently finishing up my bachelor's degree in Criminology & Investigations at WVU. I've ridden dirtbikes and quads since I was old enough to reach the footbrake and my last dirtbike was a yamaha YZ450F, I loved it but never really had time for it after I came to college. I didn't completely drop my addiction to adrenaline though, I currently drive a 2003 Cobra w/ 504whp and it's fun but it just doesn't compare to the way riding my dirtbike always made me feel. I'm looking to get that same feeling on the streets and I'm hoping to pick up an 04+ R6 (Black/Raven) for around 4K sometime during winter, so if you guys spot any deals in the marketplace that I haven't yet, let me know haha.

Anyway, I've been lurking here for a while, I know fast car doesn't mean I should get a fast bike, and I know that knowing a dirtbike inside and out also doesn't mean i'm ready for a 600cc sportbike according to some, but I appreciate your warm welcomes and criticisms, as this decision has been over a year in research and planning to do what I think is the best option for me. I'm looking forward to learning even more than I already have from you guys, thanks ahead of time!

-Chad

·
Hakuna Matata, btches!
1,493 Posts
hello and welcome, i went from dirt bikes and quads to a r6. It was a completely different beast than my yz250. I just learned self control and took my time and got used to the six.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hello and welcome. My last bike was also a YZ450. Went straight to the R6 after my deployment and have enjoyed every single ride since. Just remember to respect the bike and make sure you are always geared up.

·
Keep it Rubber-Side Down
272 Posts
Welcome....and for what it's worth, if you can find an '05 within your budget, snag it.

The '05 R6 has some major advantages over the '03-'04 R6:

-Inverted Forks
-Radial Mounted Brakes
-Larger front tire (better handling)

These 3 things aren't even found on the newer R6s models which makes it sometimes a steal if you can find an '05 used that someone doesn't realize the difference!

Happy Hunting!

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Hello and welcome:wave

Welcome....and for what it's worth, if you can find an '05 within your budget, snag it.

The '05 R6 has some major advantages over the '03-'04 R6:

-Inverted Forks
-Radial Mounted Brakes
-Larger front tire (better handling)

These 3 things aren't even found on the newer R6s models which makes it sometimes a steal if you can find an '05 used that someone doesn't realize the difference!

Happy Hunting!
Or just get a 3rd gen..(06-current non S model) :sing

·
Schrute Farms Beets
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a ton for the suggestions guys

·
Schrute Farms Beets
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Schrute Farms Beets
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys!

Nsfallen, can't tell from the sig is that black car a new edge cobra or a 'stang?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.