Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Im Rick James!
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone...Daniel here. I actually joined the R1 forum first. But based upon a question I posted there, my decision to buy a Yamaha was altered and I joined this forum.

Read here to find out what Im talking about:

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221555

All of that being said, Im happy to be here. Looking forward to taking advantage of this buyer's market and snatching up a R6 "for the low".

Ride hard or ride home baby! :YEA

Daniel aka SLICK

·
Moderatore Eccellente!
8,634 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

·
Ride Hard
404 Posts
welcome to the forum

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
Welcome. After reading your post on the R1 forum, you will be very happy with an R6. Whether you get the R6S or the "newer" R6, you'll have a blast. Remember, a modern 600 will go 160 mph. A modern literbike will go 186. I have never missed those last 26 miles per hour myself...

Seriously though, like the guys over there said, get to the track. Take a month or two (at least a couple thousand miles) to get used to the R6 and the way it feels. It will be so completely different you won't be able to believe it. I started on a Suzuki Bandit 600 (basically a sport tourer) which I put 33,000 miles on in two years. When I got my first GSXR600, I couldn't believe how different it was. If I hovered my finger in the air in front of the front brake lever I thought I was going to flip over the bars at first. I can't even imagine going from the V-Star 650 to a sportbike.

I reckon you'll be fine, just remember they are wildly different. Anyway, once the R6 starts to feel natural, sign up for a trackday. You'll be glad you did.

·
Im Rick James!
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chango said:
Welcome. After reading your post on the R1 forum, you will be very happy with an R6. Whether you get the R6S or the "newer" R6, you'll have a blast. Remember, a modern 600 will go 160 mph. A modern literbike will go 186. I have never missed those last 26 miles per hour myself...

Seriously though, like the guys over there said, get to the track. Take a month or two (at least a couple thousand miles) to get used to the R6 and the way it feels. It will be so completely different you won't be able to believe it. I started on a Suzuki Bandit 600 (basically a sport tourer) which I put 33,000 miles on in two years. When I got my first GSXR600, I couldn't believe how different it was. If I hovered my finger in the air in front of the front brake lever I thought I was going to flip over the bars at first. I can't even imagine going from the V-Star 650 to a sportbike.

I reckon you'll be fine, just remember they are wildly different. Anyway, once the R6 starts to feel natural, sign up for a trackday. You'll be glad you did.
The "wildly different" thing makes me nervous. I am gonna take this slow like two blind virgins.

I didnt know the only different in top speed was 26 mph. I thought it was a lot more than that. I've only done 140 in a car.

Yeah, the trackday seems like a must-do. Everybody and their mother are telling me to do that. 53,000 *exact same* suggestions must be correct. :))

So question...what do you think is the number one reason for accidents (biker's fault) besides the obvious one of going to fast? It seems to me it would be the hairline break thing...I've heard that the brakes on these bikes are ultra sensitive. What do you suggest?

SLICK

·
N(.)(.)bie
3,336 Posts
Welcome Daniel :wave

·
N(.)(.)bie
3,336 Posts
Verbal_Hustle said:
"Hi you doin', foxy lady? Can I buy you a fisch sandwish??"
I am doing fine.. and no thank you on the sandwich... I am just finishing my banana! :poke

·
Registered
78 Posts
Verbal_Hustle said:
So question...what do you think is the number one reason for accidents (biker's fault) besides the obvious one of going to fast? It seems to me it would be the hairline break thing...I've heard that the brakes on these bikes are ultra sensitive. What do you suggest?

SLICK

First let me say welcome to the forum, and second yes I would say a lot of the accidents happen because the rider is too cocky and/or are trying to keep up with other riders that have been riding much longer. But at the same time they seem to hand out DL to anyone that asks for one and there are some BAD DRIVERS :thumbdown that will run you over and not even look twice. So not only do you need to watch what you are doing but you need to watch what everyone else is doing at the same time, basically ride like you are invisible. Thats what I was taught. And as far as the brakes being sensitive yes, but you only have two wheels you want them to be. I suggest learning to control that before you get on the road!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts