Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I plan on starting up my 02 r6 in my storage center once every week or once every other week, depending on my schedule to make sure the battery never dies and to make sure the r6 is running well. However, when i did this yesterday i noticed a few things. Keep in mind that i just got my r6 this week and new to bikes as a whole.

1)The temperature of the engine slowly increased, up to 190 degress farenheit. I know this is a natural occurance because it was cold outside and it was slowly heating up, but at which point is it considered normal until it's overheated?
2)When i first started to run it, there was a red dot that turned on next to the temperature of the engine, it was the oil light or engine temperature, which i'v driven cars so i knew that either the oil was low or it was getting too hot. Confused, i turned it off and started it again. The light turned off and didn't turn on again. This happens in my car sometimes when it turns on and it just turns on by accident. Should i be worried that it did?
3)There was a little bit of something dripping from the engine when i started it up. It took me a few times to start it up, so i just thought i flooded it and it was just the gasoline or something comming out or i dunno... is it normal? Cars do this, but i never really knew what was actually dripping out.

I'm new to bikes as a whole and would appreciate some basic knowledge about how to care about my motorcyle. I'm still trying to learn when and how to change the oil, lubricate the chain, and other basic things. For now, i'm just going to start it up every week or so for 10-15 minutes to charge the battery.

Thanks guys, is what happened normal?

·
I gotta ride!
191 Posts
2 words...battery tender! They're cheap and easy. If you don't have power in your storage then I would pull the batt out while in storage. I do that with my daughters quad every summer while it sits in the trailer and it's lasted 4 seasons with no problems. As far as the red light goes, I'm not sure... Could be that it took a second for the oil pump to catch up since it was sitting, I don't know if Yamaha had the dry sump system in 02???
Change your oil at least every 5k, don't get cheap on the oil either. The bike only hold a couple quarts so just buy the good stuff. I like the R4 from Castrol.
Lube your chain everytime you wash your bike and before long rides. It's a good idea to clean the chain as well with a good cleaner, stay away from brake cleaners though, your o-rings will dry out and come apart.
My bike will run as hot as 230 on a hot summer day. These things seem to like running hot, my fans don't kick on till 212... I run engine ice, again, it doesn't hold much coolant so just get the good stuff.
Make sure if your gonna start her up every so offten that you let her get up to temp before rapping the throttle, around 130.
Good luck and welcome to the world of sport bikes....!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks rob. The battery is def sitting at my house. I just brought it to the storage place to charge it up. I could buy a battery charger, but I just want to hear the engine now and then.

I don't plan on skimping on the maintanance either. I'm sure the price difference is only a couple dollars, so it'll prob be worth the investment.

What is the point of the temperature reading of the engine? And what about the dripping stuff?

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
The point of the temp gauge is so you know the temp of the engine coolant. You'll know when it's at full operating temp and you'll know if it's getting too hot before the idiot light comes on (if you're model has one, not sure).

If it happens again, find out exactly where it is dripping from and try to identify the fluid by touch/smell/sight (don't taste it :)). If it's leaking a vital fluid, you'll want to know. It may just be condensation or something.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
read your owners manual. it's actually supposed to come on after a few seconds. but it shouldn't stay on all the time. if it stays on the oil symbol or the temp symbol will be on in the lcd area.
if it's the oil can one check the oil level, if it's good you might have a problem with the circuit.
if the temp symbol is on and the temp is normal, you might have a problem with the circuit.
it's all in the owners manual. page 24 or 3-3 through 26/ 3-5.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/service/viewmanuals/sport_manuals.aspx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts