Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here guys so sorry if a dumb question. My 03 r6 i bought with a set of aftermarket headers and a gytr slip on. Last summer my friend tiped my bike over and scratched the exhaust all up. he felt bad and got me a high mount micron slip on. Now as for all i know the bike was mapped with the pc3 for the headers slip on and high flow air filter. Now The gytr pipe felt like it was a little rich and lots of black on the end of the pipe. Plus i got a burning sensation in my eyes and could smell the gas. Now i just put on the micron and i went for a ride. It is way more responsive and feels alot smoother. It does not back fire as much when i let go of the throttle and sounds better. Does not smell like unburnt gas to much. I would say it feels just right with the map that is on the pc3. My only fear is that it is lean. I have only about 15 miles on it so there is no black on the exhaust yet and thinking about pulling plugs just to early now to see. I did feel one weird thing i never felt before and that was a slight i mean slight vibration in the mid rpms with this exhaust. I do not know if that means anything. So just wondering if i should change maps to a micron specific or leave it.

2,458 Posts
or better yet. have it ran on a dyno and know exactly where it stands..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what i know i should do but right now i dont have the extra couple hundred dollars to get a dyno and custom map. I am more looking for someone who had the same senerio or anyone knows that just switching a slip on will make a bike to lean and will harm the bike.

2,458 Posts
i didnt say get a tune.. its usually 30 or 40 to put it on and make 3 pulls. then u can switch maps if the graph looks bad.

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
you can pull the spark plugs, replace em and ride a while. Then pull em out and look at the color of them. If they are black you are running rich. White means too lean. A light tan color is ideal..

How come noone ever mentions this to people in these threads? I've been doing this forever with carb'd cars, and anything that I ride or run that is modified. People have been doin it this way forever. I know it isn't as accurate as a dyno, but it has never failed me!

·
Registered
730 Posts
you can pull the spark plugs, replace em and ride a while. Then pull em out and look at the color of them. If they are black you are running rich. White means too lean. A light tan color is ideal..

How come noone ever mentions this to people in these threads? I've been doing this forever with carb'd cars, and anything that I ride or run that is modified. People have been doin it this way forever. I know it isn't as accurate as a dyno, but it has never failed me!
probably because its a crude way and not 100% all the time

1 - 7 of 7 Posts