Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Well I am new to the whole street bike thing, and looking for a bike. I dont have any prior experience with streetbikes, but Ive races dirtbikes for about 10 years and got my first when I was 4. I recently sold my yz125 and my yzf250 so that gives me about 5 grand to put down on a new bike, and I was definetely leaning towards the r6. I've rode yammie all my life and Ive always been kinda biased.. But yeah i was just looking for some input on them like pros and cons etc. Pretty much the only complaint Ive heard about them is they dont have too much grunt down low. So what do yall think of your r6? Good starter bike or is there another better middle class bike out there? Im 6'3 by the way so a bike that can suit a tall rider is a must!! Any input appreciated!:YEA

·
Registered
408 Posts
Dude I would go with the R6 there will be a lot of people that will tell you that its not a good starter bike and it may not be but as long as you can ride within your limits it will be fine. Also they did cut down on some of the lower lag in the 08 so you should go for those for sure. from what I understand the R6 is best for taller riders.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
well lot of people gonna tell you to get a R6, I'm 6'3" too and i feel like i fit alot better on an R1! You definetely have riding experience so as long as you mindful of what your doing you could learn alot on a liter bike. An R6 will definetely get you down the road quickly! I went with the R6 for monetary reasons otherwise i would have been all up in an R1 so now everyone can flame me too but thats my opinion

oh don't show off thats what ****s people

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well lot of people gonna tell you to get a R6, I'm 6'3" too and i feel like i fit alot better on an R1! You definetely have riding experience so as long as you mindful of what your doing you could learn alot on a liter bike. An R6 will definetely get you down the road quickly! I went with the R6 for monetary reasons otherwise i would have been all up in an R1 so now everyone can flame me too but thats my opinion

oh don't show off thats what ****s people

Yeah having an r1 would be really nice for a first bike, but an r6 would be easier to swing right now. Im not quite sure yet but I may be able to get an r1 but for right now an r6 seems pretty good. I do have a LOT of experience with dirtbikes and motorized things in general but not streetbikes in particular. Just how different is the r1 performance-wise?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Really I hear it was better for shorter rider, but that could just be because the seat is closer to the ground then the R6's is but I'm not sure I have just read a lot that said the GSXR is better for shorter riders.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
oh i was talking about being in a full tuck yeah just cruising though i like the r6 better
difference between the R6 and R1 is quite alot kinda hard to put it in terms i'm sure someone else could explain it better best i could do is that its more powerful and a little slower going from turn to turn

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
Good luck on your purchase! The 6 is a great bike, and as long as you are responsible you will do just fine learning on it. Have fun and take the MSF class!!

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
just have fun....welcome to the forum also!
p.s. your not the only one thats biased agianst other bikes...my garage has all yamaha toys +1 new bike that im waiting to get parts for.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Go with the r6. im about your height and i started riding dirt bikes when i was about 12.
The low bottom end power kept me out of trouble for my first week and its got the topend to have fun with later so i like it as my first street bike.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i got mine up to 156 before i ran out of safe real estate.
safe being relative to there was no way anyone could have pulled in front of me

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am to new to the street bike scene. I have drove all of my friends bikes that range from R6's to GSXRs, KAWIS, and Hondas. I really like the r6 because of the fact that i seem to be able to control the bike a little bit better that the GSXR and CBR 600rr. IDK what it is, but it is what it is. The GSXR for some reason i cant sit flat footed at a stand still( Im 5'10" 175lbs) and the R6 i have no problem being flat footed. I like this because im not always on my tippy toes! I dont even have my bike yet. I pick it up saturday. I cant wait! This will be my first motorcycle and i am not an idiot like most 20 year olds in my area. I know the power of these bikes and i will respect that. MSF class this weekend. :YEA:YEA

·
The Patient
340 Posts
The r6 is a great first bike. I've practiced on a friend's old hurricane 600 just to get the basics. My 06 is my first bike as well, I got it in January. Just like what everyone here told me, relax and take it slow and easy. Most of all have fun and enjoy the bike.

About the other bike I beg to differ. I'm 5'8" 180 lbs average build and the R6 is by far the tallest bike I've sat on. I'm on my tip toes with my bike. Hondas and gixxers are a lot lower. I've also sat on an 07 zx6r and I'd have to say that I was more comfortable sitting on that bike. But I wouldn't trade my 6 for any them, Peace and ride safe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts