Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a 2008 R6. Title and VIN number match. However the engine number comes back as an 04 and the fairings and odometer are definitely in 04 Style. I didn't know 04 fairings and everything would bolt right onto an 08 frame? Hope I'm not missing something.... or got scammed with a vin swap etc.....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Part number stamped on the ECU should then indicate '04 as well.

So... 02 - 05 are known as 2nd-Gen bikes.
3rd-Gen bikes started with 06. Third gens are NOT backward compatible with 2nd-Gen.

But wait... Yamaha continued to sell 2nd-Gen bikes up until 09.
Those bikes from 06 to 09 that were still 2nd-Gen have been designated with an "S" (think 'S'econd) in the name.

So the 08 frame is from an R6S.
They probably transferred most of the good bits from an '04 R6 with frame damage and put them in an 08 R6S frame.

Hope that's not too confusing?

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
BTW, the frames are largely hallow to save weight. The OEM plastics help protect that frame by providing a large surface area of collapsible plastics to absorb and distribute the kinetic energy. The aftermarket sliders by contrast, transmit the shock of a fall, to a concentrated area of that frame.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,489 Posts
You have an 08 R6S, not an R6. It is pretty much identical to the 03-04 R6 except for fairing paint schemes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome guys, thank you! This is my 13th rocket since 2002 when I bought my first bike, an 03 gsxr. Haven't had a bike in 2 years, let alone a small cc bike.... but, with gas prices and living in MN.... a 600 seems to be fine lol. I did not know about the S models.... you all learned me something! I appreciate it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts