Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an 99 blue r6. Has a full d and d exhaust w/ header and supposidly has a jet kit. How will I ever know if it does have a jet kit or with a full exhaust does it come with a jet kit or is it necessary? Also I am a big fan of K and N air filters, I have them in all of my cars, and wanted your opinions if its worth the 50 bucks? I swear ive heard before that with carb a k and n might hurt the performane, is this true? Anything else you guys can recommend would be great. Ill be posting pics soon also, love the site top notch.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I am not sure if it has anything to do with the R6 being carburated instead of having injection... however, I HAVE heard several people say that the K&N does not perform as well as the stock air filter. At least in this particular application.

The reasoning I heard is that the stock filter has as much or more surface area as the K&N.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Rocky is correct. I've seen it in magazines where the K&N filter actually doesnt flow as well as the stock Yamaha filter. I dont know the exact reason, but with several magazine tests on the dyno as proof, I think I believe them.

As far as I know, the only real way to check the jets short of asking the original owner to see the original ones is to take apart one of the carbs and pull the jet. Luckily you dont need to remove the carbs from the bike to do this.

Rubber side down!

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
raydogg920 said:
thanks guys. Just one more question, can you wash the 99 filter and re oil it ? thanks
im pretty sure your just gonna have to get a new man. most stock filter dont have an oil type filter.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I highly doubt you can re-oil the filter. Yamaha says to flat out replace it when it gets dirty or after so many miles. Nothing about re-oiling it. And believe me, if Yamaha had a filter that could be re-oiled, they would advertise to buy the oil from them.

Rubber side down!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts