Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys whats goin on? Im a newbie to the site and to the bike scene. I just purchased a 2004 r6. its silver with the black flames. Im gonna be buying a HJC CL-14 black helmet. I rode a few times last summer on my brothers 2003 r6 and decided to get one. I am taking the motorcycle class here in the spring to get a better feel and to help get my insurance down. I cant wait for the spring to get here with some warmer weather!! My bike is gonna be sitting in the garage for the next month before I get to ride it, so that just blows!! Ima have to get out there and start it up.. rev it a little. Well guys its great to be on the site and I cant wait to post more and get to know everyone. If you have any comments about my bike or helmet, and would recommend some first mods to the bike. Im prolly gonna get a fender eliminator really soon. I hate this bulky thing!! THanks guys and taker easy. Late, Steve

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
welcome to the site steve. dig around and see if any questions you might have, have answers around here. oh, and congrats on the purchase and buying the fastest color there is. the mods to stick to until you get some saddle time would be things like flushmount blinkers, and tail light intergrator, new windscreen.....things that won't increase the performance of your bike until you get used to what it can do. be safe out there and enjoy the bike!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what kind of windscreen do you recommend? I dont think the stock one is all that bad, I would like it to be tinted maybe so its not clear... Im lookin for the fender eliminator with turn signals on ebay and I like the vfx you guys are talking about. I dont know if I really like the turn signals in the tail like. We will see though... an

·
Registered
202 Posts
Another '04 newbie

:cheers I just joined this wonderful R6 world as well. I live in hawaii so year round riding is very sweet. The only way to learn to ride is to ride so thats what i do about everyday. You will catch on quickly and everythng that you used to think would be cool to do is just a memory of the first time you did it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
smiko0124 said:
what kind of windscreen do you recommend? I dont think the stock one is all that bad, I would like it to be tinted maybe so its not clear... Im lookin for the fender eliminator with turn signals on ebay and I like the vfx you guys are talking about. I dont know if I really like the turn signals in the tail like. We will see though... an

I have been looking around for a few months and for the price there is one on ebay from R&R that cost $45 with your choice of signals. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2459658298&category=6755

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
the stock isn't bad but you can get far better wind protection using an aftermarket one that has the "double bubble" design. there's alot of manufacturers out there. Zero Gravity and Puig are two I can think of off the top of my head. Some people have had a hard time with the aftermarket screens but I think in general the ZG's are pretty good. Most race teams seem to go with them and a few members have them on here.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
by the way I am from northern Indiana. I have an apartment in Fort Wayne, and my parents house in in syracuse. Lake Wawasee if anyone knows anything about Indiana.... Me and some buddies have bikes and are waiting for the warm weather to roll in so we can roll out

·
Registered
105 Posts
Fender Eliminator

What's up smiko0124!!??!! I'm here in Ft. Wayne too. I've been thinking about that same eliminator from R&R on Ebay too! LOL. I just cant decide myself...I'm almost ready to just leave the bulky original one on there, but not sure. I have a new '04 also and haven't done much. I bought some blue parts to replace some of the black ones - the 2 air intake covers and the rear tire hugger. I'll post some pics for u guys when I get them and installed.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Re: Another '04 newbie

sschulz said:
:cheers I just joined this wonderful R6 world as well. I live in hawaii so year round riding is very sweet. The only way to learn to ride is to ride so thats what i do about everyday. You will catch on quickly and everythng that you used to think would be cool to do is just a memory of the first time you did it.
there are 2 other riders from hawaii.......... stoneloco808 and ratbiker6. you guys should see if you are anywhere near each other.

·
Registered
202 Posts
smiko0124 said:
by the way I am from northern Indiana. I have an apartment in Fort Wayne, and my parents house in in syracuse. Lake Wawasee if anyone knows anything about Indiana.... Me and some buddies have bikes and are waiting for the warm weather to roll in so we can roll out

I'm from Syracuse originally.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Ascenta Where do you live in ft wayne? I live over in canterbury green apartments and go to IPFW. I am a junior there so hit me up sometime if you want to hang out or go ride this spring... email me and Ill give you my cell number. Hey sschulz are you originally from Syracuse Indiana or New York? Just a question. How old are you and what is your real name? Just wondering if I know who you are or not. To get back onto topic a little bit, I think the R&R fender eliminator would look much better than the stock!! It is a good price, not sure on the quality but for the money I guess youll just have to find out. I like the flip up license plate from vfx.. Im debating... I guess we will just have to figure it out huh?

·
Registered
953 Posts
welcome both of you

worship the R6 yada yada yada...

:worship

hopefuly we can help you out, etc.

:jump :jump :jump :jump :jump :jump :jump

G

·
Yo,

Im obviously a newbie too....and it sucks. Im actually about to buy my first R6 in the very near future. Im currently registerd for the class in June....I couldnt get a closer class. Anyway...you say that you haave a 04 R6 (bad ass bike)....Im just curious how much is your note a month ? if you dont mind me asking. Are you financing thru Yamaha or did you but the bike out right ? Im trying to get a more accurate idea on what my payments will look like.

Insurance blows....Ive been quoted a price for 1200 every 6 months, not including class discount. That works out 170 per. I think thats kinda high but let me know what ya think. Oh...Im a 25 year old with a wife and son , plus I already own a house and 2 cars...you would think the bike insurance would be lower ? Anyhow.....please provide me with feedback....

Damn...you have the same exact bike a I want...color and all.

:comp

G

·
Insurance

Whoa! Thats 2 pricely for my blood! I have a 04 r6 and my insurance is only $612 per year with full coverage through state farm insurance. And I'm 23 single, with a horrible driving record! I did take the time to get quoted through progressive and it was like $2000 per six months! My best advice to you is to find your local state farm and get quoted through them! Or i can get you the number to my insurance company! You can E-mail me at [email protected]

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey man whats goin on, I put 1,000 down payment, and got a loan for 7000. I am going through my bank National City with a 7.9% interest. My mom is co-signing on the loan for me cuz I havent had a steady job for a year and I dont have really an credit besides a 45 a month cell bill. My payments are like 155 a month for 60 months, but I will prolly pay like 200 or so, depending on what I have let over. My insurance will be on my moms insurance for now until I take the time to get it in my name. Im 20 and have no wrecks, no tickets so it prolly wont be too high for me. I havent looked into insurance, but state farm looks pretty good if you cant get onto your parents insurance.... Let me know if you have any questions. steve

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
WOW, I pay 167 a year for insurance on my 01...

Anyway, back to the original questions......

R6 = great bike
HJC = great helmet

stock windscreen is ok, but i got a Powerbronze dark tinted one and it is GREAT

It fit right on, it looks bad ass. it would probably look good on your silver bike

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you have a website for the windscreen? Do you recommend some sliders or a fender eliminator kit first? Ive been lookin up both and my gf is gonna buy me one or the other for my bday in march...

·
Registered
786 Posts
Yeah, Statefarm seems to be the way to go...... I got quoted $112 Cdn ($150 american) a month for collision on the `03 R6.... My parents have been with Statefarm since they came to Canada..... 20 years old.... and they told me it would drop 30% once I'm 21 (11 months) ... wooh.
Haven't decided if I should go with the used 2003 , or opt for a spankin new 2004... the financing is lower for an unused bike....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts