Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I just got a brand new 2007 R6 (it was a left over). I got it with 5 miles on it, and put about 800 on it. It drives and shifts great.

But today I had to stop fast for a light. So I was at a light stopped, clutch in (all the way), and in 6th gear. And when I tried to downshift it to 1st, it wouldn't go. It felt really sloppy, and the lever just wouldn't move down. I pushed really hard and finally got it to go from 6th all the way down to 1st. As soon as I took off, it downshifted and upshifted great like it always does. I got it home, put it in 1st, and went from 1 to 6 just sitting there not moving. And again, when I tried to go from 6 to 1, it was real sloppy, and seemed like it really didn't wanna go. I kicked it down from 5-4 and it wouldn't go anymore. Then like 5 seconds later, the lever popped back up, and I was able to go all the way down to 1st. It almost feels like something sticking?

Any ideas?

·
Ice cream
384 Posts
try not to be in 6th when coming to a stop. Since youre a new rider it will take some time getting used to, but as you ride more and practice, you will be able to break for a light rev match and downshift all together.,

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
:stupic

Just takes some time to get used to. You'll be able to do it all at once once you get used to it.

If you're stuck in 2nd, you have to force a stall by either turning off the bike or release the clutch and try to go.

What you want to aim for is to be able to release the clutch to reapply it to shift back in to first.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
try not to be in 6th when coming to a stop. Since youre a new rider it will take some time getting used to, but as you ride more and practice, you will be able to break for a light rev match and downshift all together.,
I usually always downshift as I'm coming to a stop. But that light was super fast, something had to be wrong with it. I just concentrated on braking hard and stopping, and never downshifted. But does that sound normal? Or is there an issue with my bike?

Thanks again guys!

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
It's normal on any bike, that's why they tell us to always try to downshift to 1st when coming to a stop.

Now when you try to take off in 6th while rolling at 10 mph or so you'll hear the gears grinding because it can't keep up with that slow speed until you get up to speed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the quick replies.

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
When it gets stuck like that you can let the clutch out just a bit to let it engage enough to barely rock the bike then down shift again and repeat until you get to first. Don't force the shift with your foot, let the bike do the work, it'll do it.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
When it gets stuck like that you can let the clutch out just a bit to let it engage enough to barely rock the bike then down shift again and repeat until you get to first. Don't force the shift with your foot, let the bike do the work, it'll do it.
^^^ This. But you don't have to rock the bike (unless it is majorly stuck in gear).
:werd. Slip the clutch VERY slightly, or hold the clutch in all the way and walk the bike forward or backward a little and try again. You just caught everything on a tooth of one of the gears. Move things up a little if you get caught in the same situation, and it'll go

1 - 10 of 10 Posts