Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Nothing Special
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey there. I have recently acquired my first sportbike, a 2003 R6 that was first owned by a respectful owner and secondly owned by a knucklehead. I am now it's third owner and hope to treat it with more respect than the last person did.

Been riding since 1970 and racing since 1972 (I'm 53). I've been a Yamaha freak since my first bike (1971 Mini Enduro JT-1 that was made into a flat track/TT bike that I raced at Perris, Deadman's Point, Adelanto, Riverside, and others back in the early 70s.) This R6 is my first venture into knee dragging riding. I've taught myself that style on another bike but I've not owned a true sportbike before now. Previously I raced desert, flat track/TT, MX. My last desert bike was powered by a Toomey'd out RD400 "framer" and I was clocked on a dry lake section of my last desert race at 107mph on that thing. Did I mention it was a quad?

Bla bla friggin bla! That's all some serious past nonsense and has nothing to do with here or now. On to reality. This poor R6 has (what I hope is only) a blown head gasket. PO claimed he did not know that bike was liquid cooled and never thought to check the coolant. Claims he roasted the head gasket (how he knows this, I'll never know. He wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer mechanically speaking). So yea, that's his story. Everwhat.

So I am learning about the best way to pull the head (engine removal required? And so on...) to see what the R6 fairies have left for me to see once I crack the engine open. I also need to learn up on what the preferred gasket makers are (OEM, Athena. and so on). I am prepared to learn that I'll need to replace the engine in the event it's roasted beyond repairability. That is, I am mentally prepared not financially! :) These things happen one step at a time.

So, yea. TONS AND TONS for me to learn here. I've been lurking for some time and thought it best to enroll.

Seems like a good forum, over eighty thousand members, quite active, and racey. Glad I was able to join. Thank you! :)

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,411 Posts
:wave

·
Dangerously Irish
9,506 Posts
:wave

·
Stunt Rider
7,950 Posts
Aloha!!!

·
Nothing Special
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Welcome, Barny. What made you jump onto a supersport now?
Fate? Karma? Got lucky looking in our local super shopper?

I had been building another project that uses many R6 suspension pieces. I was looking for more parts and stumbled on to this one. The bike is not too awful, it just got subjected to the attentions of local first bike owner (why do so many first timers pick sportbikes? Geez!) that probably should stick to something other than motorcycles. Tools just weren't the PO's forte. Neither was riding a sportbike I guess. "Somehow" it blew a head gasket and the PO got frustrated and gave up on the bike. A few hundred bucks later it was mine.

So, it's mine now. I talked it over with my super supportive wife of 35+ years and we both decided that building up this R6 made far more sense than the other project. It's a time thing. There is a somewhat urgent time requirement on this project, I need to get it rolling just as soon as I can, and my wife has been a constant reminder of that ("Let's just get it working safely first then you can trick it out later. I want to see you riding as soon as possible!"). So the likelyhood of completing the R6 first was far greater than the other project mostly due to the cost involved.

Hopefully this is one of those once per lifetime things, and it will all work out fine (looking for that hunk of wood to knock on). If not it was a rather safe investment. Besides, it's time. I've done many forms of motorcycling and moving to a "RR bike" is just another brick on the wall. My wife has already picked up a track day guide and we're already talking about that stuff.

Lovin it.

:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.