Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I get a LOT of emails about the helmet. I will consolidate my posts into a review. They have revised the helmet so it has a toolless visor change setup now which is HUGE. I'll find out if there's any exchange policy or something. And will also post who and where to get these the cheapest.

Right now, best pricing is from our forum vendor theups (John at lawless motorsports). Hit him up for the DEAL on it. He knows the deal I got and will honor it for everyone. I've confirmed this with him.

I'll also work on getting bluerebel's new info on the revisions to the new version up here with pics, etc.

If it's that loud for anyone it's probably not the right size. Mine is very quiet. It's also ridiculously comfortable. The padding inside is glorious.

It's WAY lighter than my Bell CF Cerwinske.

The fit and finish isn't the very best, but who gives a shit. This is a racer's helmet. If you want bells and whistles and a handjob with your lid, look elsewhere.

The wider and taller opening gives an unbelievable amount of visibility. The shell is small, and is less likely to rub into your speed hump when you are laying on the bike. My neck pain and strain is reduced by more than half while wearing this helmet.

It's crazy aerodynamic and I didn't even once think to myself that it was pulling on me or forcing my head around. Even at 130 MPH in a lean at Jennings.

The ventilation is decent. The vents themselves are cheap ass light weight plastic, but they work.

The tinted visor is OK. It's not very optically clear like many others I've worn. The clear one is pretty clear tho. The fact they are nearly unbreakable is sweet. You need a screw driver to swap visors too. Tough fcuking shit buddy. :laugh

The small size weighs in at 2.65 lbs. Nobody is gonna beat that. That's why I got it. To help with my neck arthritis. It does exactly that. I don't have to ram my head up to see where the fcuk I'm going now. I just look up with my eyes. The weightless feeling it has is even more noticeable on your head

There's been plenty of racers running them over the last season or so. The only bad feedback is on the fit and finish. Not on whether it will save your brain and do it's job.

It's a no frills helmet. I recommend it.

My only beef is the neck strap is a bit tough to snap into the button. Oh well. :jerkit

Thanks for the review Cheif. Would you recommend this helmet for the street?
Yea. It defogs quickly in the rain with the front chin vent open. Same thing in real cold weather.

The finish on it is very pretty and seems rugged to me. I smashed mine into the metal framing on my EZ-up about 15 times at the track in FL and it didn't mar the paint or clear one bit.

It's DOT approved. The other approval this helmet does have is a british one that my race organization says is acceptable. So you know it's worthy of DOT approval, but they may not have spent the $$ to put it thru the motions. I am not 100% sure.

But yea, Rock it out bro.

I think it fits people with oval shaped heads and faces somewhat better, but there is also a bunch of little pads that come with it which you can stick under the liner to pad it better in any looser spots.

I got it and it was so fcukin tight, but no headaches. This is how it should be. It broke in very nicely and is just hella cozy now.

It's not a helmet with all the flashy graphics and bullshit features. It's a purpose built piece of gear. That's why I say it's a racer's lid. Plus, NEXX has been trackside all season at various places letting people demo them, etc. Marketing to racers FTW

I felt the same way about the increased field of view. It was nice to finally see where I was going. :laugh

I cropped this pic and hopefully it uploads big u can see me lookin up and it's barely pushing into my speed hump and I have tons of sight. I can see up the track no problem. For the first time ever I was seeing the pavement rush by in my peripheral when I dropped my head

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
What's ur opinion on them? In comparison to Shoei, Arai
The creature comforts on the arai's is definitely nicer. I would like to note that arai has a whole system now that releases the helmet interior from the shell in an emergency. Shoei's are heavier than the arai's and fit more of a rounded face IMO. The arai > shoei

According to the specs it says it's lighter. Any issues with fits ( I have a massive head) I usually wear xl helmets.
It's one of the lightest helmets out. It weighs so much less than anything you pickup. :fact It also has a small shell size that is so ideal. I no longer look like a bobble head! I think it kinda fits better for a narrow face (NEXX) but it comes with littl pads you can put in the shell to customize the fit!

Visor swap easy ? Extra visor costs ?
Visor swap NOT easy. Requires screw drivers bro. BUT, blue rebel told me they have a new version which doesn't need tools.

Lookin at the carbon speed. What's ur thoughts.
It's the same as my helmet with a cooler paint scheme!

What's pinlock ? Sorry not familiar ?
I think this may be related to the new visor release system.

Anything else I'm missing or should be told ?
Noway! It's a light helmet, it has a wider viewing angle and a small shell size. I've smashed my head a couple times with it, and it's barely scuffed!

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here is BlueRebels pics of the revised model with the toolless visor setup and his pics and comments as well:
Well, I decided to stay with the NEXX XR1R even though I had some hic-ups along the way with some defects that came up on the first one I ordered, which was grey/black. I sent it back and I decided to pick the gloss red/black instead of the matte black….easier to clean. Also, NEXX shipped me the latest version of the XR1R which now has a quick release system for the visor, which is super easy to use. Other than that, I think they improved on the cheek pads as well….the first XR1R I had, rougher edges on the cheek pads and rubbed on my chin, which was irritating.

Here are a few pic’s of the helmet:

And here is the simple process of removing the visor:
1. Lift the visor the its fullest open postion:

2. Grabing the outer edge of the platic clip, pull up on it until it stops:

3. Next, grab the clip and pull out on it…clip should just pop out:

5. To reinstall….align the three circular pins and insert them into the groves…hold the visor in place

6. Align the clip with its grove….insert the clips and twist it counter clockwise until it locks into place. YOU’RE DONE!

IMPORTANT: As you can tell in this pic….there are three circular pins. When you are re-installing the visor…align the three pins into the three slots. Once they are aligned, hold the visor in place and insert the clip and press it down to its locked position

Here’s a vid just in case you hate to read, lol.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
<(o_0)>
251 Posts
What's pinlock ? Sorry not familiar ?
Pinlock is a fog resistant insert.

The Pinlock system is based on three basic principles:

1. Moisture absorbing material — Unlike the face shield, the Pinlock insert lens is made out of a soft, porous plastic.

2. Material thickness — Because thicker material absorbs more moisture and offers more impact protection.

3. Double lens system — The air-tight pocket in between the Pinlock insert lens and the face shield creates an extra insulation layer further increasing the anti-fogging properties of the total system.

The lens is placed between two adjustable eccentric pins, making it easy to install

www.pinlockusa.net

·
<(o_0)>
251 Posts
ChiefSmokeDawg said:
Visor swap easy ? Extra visor costs ?
Visor swap NOT easy. Requires screw drivers bro. BUT, blue rebel told me they have a new version which doesn't need tools
The new quick release visors should be officially available next month along with the carbon speed. I'm told there was a small shipment this month which is why we are starting to see them.

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The new quick release visors should be officially available next month along with the carbon speed. I'm told there was a small shipment this month which its why we are starting to see them.
Keep me posted and just sent a PM your way. :cheers

·
Sometimes..........
3,414 Posts
Ant...feel free to link my thread to yours.

Like ant said...this helmet is not a joke, straight up track gear.

The new quick release is stupid proof....so easy and simple to change the visor. The visor on the old version was stiff and hard to pull up or down.....the new one is smooth and effortless. I always run ear plugs but when I do my quick runs, its quite. You have the option to fold in extra padding next to your ear so its super quite. I tried it but found that after 30 minutes or so my eara hurt from being pressed, So I just wear ear plugs.

I've tried scorpion and bell and I simply love the nexx. Like ant said, at first, the helmet is tight but breaks in super nice.

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ant...feel free to link my thread to yours.

Like ant said...this helmet is not a joke, straight up track gear.

The new quick release is stupid proof....so easy and simple to change the visor. The visor on the old version was stiff and hard to pull up or down.....the new one is smooth and effortless. I always run ear plugs but when I do my quick runs, its quite. You have the option to fold in extra padding next to your ear so its super quite. I tried it but found that after 30 minutes or so my eara hurt from being pressed, So I just wear ear plugs.

I've tried scorpion and bell and I simply love the nexx. Like ant said, at first, the helmet is tight but breaks in super nice.
I put your info in the 3rd post. :cheers

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
John IS the man to see on these helmets! I plan to pick one up from him ASAP! And keep that gorgeous Ben Spies signed, limited edition helmet in the box until I find a case to display it in!

These NEXX helmets are SO SICK! Built for one purpose, racing!

Buy this helmet from John with confidence... Follow my sig link... :secret

:cheers

·
<(o_0)>
251 Posts
ChiefSmokeDawg said:
According to the specs it says it's lighter. Any issues with fits ( I have a massive head) I usually wear xl helmets.
It's one of the lightest helmets out. It weighs so much less than anything you pickup. It also has a small shell size that is so ideal. I no longer look like a bobble head! I think it kinda fits better for a narrow face (NEXX) but it comes with littl pads you can put in the shell to customize the fit!
Here is NEXX's Sizing info:

Helmet Size Head Size
XS ---------- 53-54 cm 20 7/8”- 21 1/4“
S ----------- 55-56 cm 20 5/8”- 22“
M ----------- 57-58 cm 22 1/2”- 22 7/8“
L ----------- 59-60 cm 23 1/4”- 23 5/8“
XL ----------61-62 cm 24”- 24 3/8“
XXL -------- 63-64 cm 24 3/4”- 24 3/4“

“Take a head measurement with a cloth tape measure. Wrap tape measure around your head one inch above your eyebrows, directly above your ears and to the widest area at the back of your head. Make sure the tape measure is tight and it is best to make the measurement in front of a mirror.”

1 - 20 of 30 Posts