·
iRun
33,319 Posts
That would be fun as hell. I'd do it.

·
Premium Member
30,470 Posts
Great idea. :fact

There's a mid-pack novice racer here I'm buddies with that got one and has actually gotten faster bc he has WAY more corner speed now. It's a fun little bike. Do it!

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's what I figured. The tires would be cheaper, faster in the corners and the bike is so fun and agile. Track is about working on your body positioning and cornering as well.

·
Out there riding..
374 Posts
Already did it! :) Got a 2010 and figured I could get 30 years of bad BP habits broken by riding it at the track instead of the stuff I usually ride.

Let me know if you want to see the stuff I've done. Even the parts are cheap as h*ll.

Brian

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
Already did it! :) Got a 2010 and figured I could get 30 years of bad BP habits broken by riding it at the track instead of the stuff I usually ride.

Let me know if you want to see the stuff I've done. Even the parts are cheap as h*ll.

Brian
why not post a separate thread in hte build section for your 250 build, if you havent already done that

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,810 Posts
Yeah that's what I figured. The tires would be cheaper, faster in the corners and the bike is so fun and agile. Track is about working on your body positioning and cornering as well.
compared to what? Dont get me wrong... the 250 is a fun bike but alot of work to go fast on. It will keep you very very honest... but youll have to run in a slower group to reap the benefits of keeping passed traffic behind you. :lmao

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
compared to what? Dont get me wrong... the 250 is a fun bike but alot of work to go fast on. It will keep you very very honest... but youll have to run in a slower group to reap the benefits of keeping passed traffic behind you. :lmao
As compared to a 600cc bike. If the 250 is a great starter bike for street riding it should be a great starter bike for track riding as well. Gradually when I get faster and faster and move up a group I'd be using my R6.

But that is after I keep up with everyone on the 250.

·
Insert witty comment here
16 Posts
My husband bought a 250 after having ridden his 1000rr on the track for a few years. He absolutely loves that thing. Hands down its made him faster. He switches off what bike he rides now at trackdays. He rides the 250 in the intermediate group and while he can't pass a lot of people in the straights, he always catches them in the corners. The way he got started on the 250 was he became part of a mini endurance team, he loved it so much so that's when he decided to buy his own, and now he sprints it as well. I think tracking a 250 is a great idea. Oh, and he put a giant Honda wing on his 250 so most people can't really tell what kind of bike it is. It's quite funny actually.

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My husband bought a 250 after having ridden his 1000rr on the track for a few years. He absolutely loves that thing. Hands down its made him faster. He switches off what bike he rides now at trackdays. He rides the 250 in the intermediate group and while he can't pass a lot of people in the straights, he always catches them in the corners. The way he got started on the 250 was he became part of a mini endurance team, he loved it so much so that's when he decided to buy his own, and now he sprints it as well. I think tracking a 250 is a great idea. Oh, and he put a giant Honda wing on his 250 so most people can't really tell what kind of bike it is. It's quite funny actually.
Lol, I would paint some Yamaha things on the 250 :sing but thanks for the story. I'm sure a lot of track guys would love to ride it around the track if I showed up with it.

Not to mention it feels great when you can keep up the big boys on a smaller toy.

·
16 Posts
Also forgot to mention, like others said, tires are cheap, but the best part is they last forever too. They did every mini endurance race this season except for 1, plus that bike was sprinted as well, and I think they did 1 tire change all season.

·
Registered
160 Posts
As compared to a 600cc bike. If the 250 is a great starter bike for street riding it should be a great starter bike for track riding as well. Gradually when I get faster and faster and move up a group I'd be using my R6.

But that is after I keep up with everyone on the 250.
You think that now. I've met allot of people at the track that went to a 250 to get faster and ended up parking/sailing their 600's. I would buy one in a heart beat if I could fit on one.

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You think that now. I've met allot of people at the track that went to a 250 to get faster and ended up parking/sailing their 600's. I would buy one in a heart beat if I could fit on one.
Yeah that's pretty much what I'm thinking. But it'll be a nice change after I get used to the 250 to switch it up.

Still can't decide what I want to do mod wise in the future. Have the 250 all hooked up with steering damper, brake lines and exhaust or have my R6..

·
16 Posts
Not bad at all. Looks more like a butterfly wing to me.

Which track body work is that? I saw that hot bodies is the main one as factorybody and rockwall don't carry 250.
They are hot bodies. He took that scheme off his old 99 900rr that had the tattered wing on it. As far as I know, Sharkskins is the only other maker for plastics for the 250. I could be wrong, but that's all I know of.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts