Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
my R6 ate a bus
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone go? Had a fun time, bit cold, lots of crashes (too many hot heads thinking they can run 1:30's on the first lap). Had trouble with turn 5, the sharp left hander. I could never hit the apex, was off soo bad i almost lowsided twice trying to stay on the track:mad: any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
if turn 5 was a left hander, were they running both of the chicanes at this track day?

The one I did we didn't run the first chicane, only the second one.

·
Fuller
225 Posts
did you do this with tony's track days?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Well if they were only running the second chicane, then turn 5 is the last turn in the right-left-right section following the T2 downhill... so it was a right turn.

Maybe you mean turn 7, the sharp left in front of the bleachers? I liked that turn ;)

·
my R6 ate a bus
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha ya sorry i forgot about that S carve turns. So ya turn 7. I watched others and some videos and see what i was doing wrong, just all about lines i guess. majority of ppl took that turn in the middle or 4-5 feet off from the right and entered and hit the apex and glided to the exit rather then me dive bombing and missing the exit and potentially running off. Though the few times i did make it cleanly it was fun. My favorite was the octopus (t10-11) i guess? i dunno i could drag elbow through there if i wanted lol

·
New Yorker
2,736 Posts
turn 6 go out then in, stay in for a short straight then turn in early for 7 to hit the apex inside, you'll end up out by the gator (white stripes)

love that turn.

Octupus turn is very tricky to master.

·
New Yorker
2,736 Posts
if turn 5 was a left hander, were they running both of the chicanes at this track day?

The one I did we didn't run the first chicane, only the second one.

its better flowing w/o the first chicane. i ran all config, with and w/o chicanes and honeslty, i love the one with the 2nd chic open

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
haha ya sorry i forgot about that S carve turns. So ya turn 7. I watched others and some videos and see what i was doing wrong, just all about lines i guess. majority of ppl took that turn in the middle or 4-5 feet off from the right and entered and hit the apex and glided to the exit rather then me dive bombing and missing the exit and potentially running off. Though the few times i did make it cleanly it was fun. My favorite was the octopus (t10-11) i guess? i dunno i could drag elbow through there if i wanted lol
Turn 7 is one of the lower speed corners at NJMP so for me it became important to focus on having a quick turn-in. Really wail on the left handlebar and snap the bike down to full lean as quickly as you can... it's scary at first but it gives you more room/time to work with when you do it right.

I dragged my knee on the gator strips and a bit of the dirt, put some pebbles out onto the track... which made me 'that guy'... oops!
its better flowing w/o the first chicane. i ran all config, with and w/o chicanes and honeslty, i love the one with the 2nd chic open
That's the configuration I ran and I really liked it. The chicane right after the straight may have slowed things down a bit too much there for my liking.

·
Until the day comes
580 Posts
I was signed up to go but backed out, i heard the mentality there can be what you described similar to pocono. Also decided to go down to CMS for a double day

1 - 10 of 10 Posts