Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just installed my HIDs and I start the bike and the low beam comes on fine flick to high it comes on for a sec then goes out and doesn't come back. Now the high beam does nothing at all not even a flicker. Do I need to run seperate relays to the battery?

TIA

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok just figured the fuse was blown in the wiring they gave me. They have a black and red going to the factory plug, but which is which on the factory plug?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Which kit did you get and where did you get them?

·
Registered
324 Posts
most likely the wire that connects to the red one through the connector is your +12v. And yes from the sounds of it you need to run it off a relay which is pretty simple.

Pics when your done!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I am going to try the relay when I get home from work. The wierd thing is the harness that goes from the ballast to the factory plug has a capacitor on the positive wire. is that normal?

Which kit did you get and where did you get them?
Got them from HIDGate, Ebay.

·
Registered
337 Posts
use a multimeter just stick both probes in while set to 20V setting. if the reading comes back +12 the connection with the red probe is the positve terminal. if the reading comes back -12 the connection with the red probe is the ground.

Run a relay, save your factory wiring, plus if you pop a fuse you have no lights kinda would suck at night

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think I am going to try the relay when I get home from work. The wierd thing is the harness that goes from the ballast to the factory plug has a capacitor on the positive wire. is that normal?

Got them from HIDGate, Ebay.

are you sure its a capacitor and not a fuse holder I have never seen a capacitor like that before. The ballast has all of that built in internally. I would also run a relay for your low beams as well.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
are you sure its a capacitor and not a fuse holder I have never seen a capacitor like that before. The ballast has all of that built in internally. I would also run a relay for your low beams as well.
I just got my kit in from the same ebayer, HIDgate. I'm pretty sure the thing on the side is a fuse holder. I havn't gotten mine fully installed yet because I don't know where I'm going to mount the ballasts. If I come across any problems I'll post them.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I just got my kit in from the same ebayer, HIDgate. I'm pretty sure the thing on the side is a fuse holder. I havn't gotten mine fully installed yet because I don't know where I'm going to mount the ballasts. If I come across any problems I'll post them.

Yea im still debating if I really want HID's on my bike or not. Im thinking about just getting some superwhites instead or something. Let me know how it goes and if u could get a picture of the cut off line for me that would be AWESOME!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What car did you tell them they were for? I am thinking the capacitor is because I said it was for an Audi.? There was a paper in the box saying the capacitor was so it didn't flicker or cause any warning lights.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well I figured it out ! Surprisingly, it was my fault, lol. I plugged the wires from the factory harness into the ballast incorecty and that's why it blew the fuse. Once I corrected it it worked perfectly...However I still installed the relay from the battery for the high beam just to be on the safe side.

These things are crazy bright!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I finished mine today and I love them. Definitely bright. The color is sexy too. But I didn't adjust the reflector for the hi beam and it is aimed downward toward the ground too much I think. I will post some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have an 04 R6 and have no problems with the HID install in both Hi/ Low, but we ut a kit into my friends 08 Ninja 250 and had to bump the fuse from a 10amp to a 15amp. The innitial surge to ignite the bulbs is higher than its running voltage. Check if you are blowing fuses, or if the ballast is drawing too much on the innitial startup...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts