Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is that bad for the engine?

Can all the oil be out and not be refilled till 2 days later?

thanks

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Ye thats fine.
just make sure to plug all the holes so dirt and bugs don't get in

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:toocool:eek:k got it

reason why I asked was because this is my first oil change on this bike.. and it looked like there was no washer there and I didnt want to drain it and then just put the bolt back on w/o the washer.. and tomorrow is a holiday so all the stores will be closed.

It ended up having a washer that looks brand new..

so ill be set

thank you ! this info will come in handy int he future

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
2 days is fine! If it's a longer period of time like 1 month, there are oils like the 300v Motul that is designed to have an affinity to the metals in the motor and stick to em longer preventing dry starts

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Yup, not a problem to sit without oil in it as long as you don't try to turn it over.

Very good call on making sure you have the crush washer. I once made the mistake of thinking it wasn't that important when changing the oil on my first bike, and ended up dumping oil all over PCH & my rear tire. The drain plug will leak and back itself out without the crush washer.

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
Yup, not a problem to sit without oil in it as long as you don't try to turn it over.

Very good call on making sure you have the crush washer. I once made the mistake of thinking it wasn't that important when changing the oil on my first bike, and ended up dumping oil all over PCH & my rear tire. The drain plug will leak and back itself out without the crush washer.
:cheers see that other thread about not giving a fcuk about the crush washer? :laugh

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
joker, you do understand that not starting a motor for 2 days is just like having the oil drained out of it for 2 days .. any oil that is not in the head, oil passages, or other parts of the motor, simply drains to the oil pan at the bottom. When you change oil, you are not draining ALL the oil, about 1/4 of the oil is left in the motor.. Synthetics (as chief was eluding to) tend to hand around on parts longer than non synth oils, and thus are better for engines at start up if they have not been run in a long time.

after building a motor, you crank the engine (with the plugs out for less wear/tear on the starter) for a good while to build oil pressure and push the oil throughout the engine prior to start up.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Just don't EVER do that with an auto engine!

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
BBBRRRAAAPPPPPP
728 Posts
fill it with water though so it cleans it out while it's sitting

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
fill it with water though so it cleans it out while it's sitting
Now WHY on Earth would you say something like that !!!

There are people that come here to learn and may not know any better that will believe such a statement.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Ye I could see someone putting a water hose in the filler hole :nono: herp derp its clean now

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Ye I could see someone putting a water hose in the filler hole :nono: herp derp its clean now
We are not to far apart... I am just outside of Bainbridge and go through Forsyth relatively often.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Im in monroe county not forsyth county. Bainbridge is about 150 miles from me.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Hop Skip and a Jump.

We go to Byron once in while and then we are all over running shows. My truck just about has I-75 burned into its computer.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts