Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody

so i am 22 and i have been trying to get a motorcycle for what seems like forever. i have finally got everything in line to purchase a bike and i have read what seems to me anyway to be everything i can. i have been lurking around here for a very long time , because this is actually one of the better forums besides the r1 forum.

i am looking at buying an r6 very soon most likely the 2006-07 model i was originally set on an r1 and would take nothing smaller but i have realized i do not have the experience to ride it.

my question or maybe my point? is that i have no one telling me to get a smaller bike? every one of my friends said to get the r1 or another liter bike. one even said to get a hayabusa. i just think that it is a little strange. i think i had one friend say to get a 600

so anyway the r6 will be my 1stish bike as i rode an old fzr 600 for a couple months last year. i have taken the msf and i already have all my gear minus some good gloves which i am looking at getting next week. i even have insurance in place with state farm i just need to call and pay it once i find the bike.

any ideas as what to pay for a 06/07 r6 from the dealer right now i am in CO.

sorry if that post is a little jumbled i am tired

·
Just Burnin Time
2,220 Posts
Expect to pay around 9k OTD, could be a little less...

To address you question, i would get a 6, i love my bike and have no want for a 1k except for cruising around town, when its time to really ride, i dont ever want anything beside the bike i am on.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Got my 07 for $8200 OTD.

·
I do it for the Chicks.
296 Posts
I bought my 07 R6S brand new last month for $7400 from a dealership.

·
Custom User Title
696 Posts
I hate to stereotype, but it sounds to me like your friends are the typical poser squid types that make up the majority of the sportbike community. No knowledge, no skills, and a whole lot of "look at me!".

If I were shopping for a Japanese street bike I would probably want to buy an SV650. I don't think pure sportbikes are enjoyable as street bikes, and I'm not interested in any of the poser culture aspects. Additionally, I like the power delivery of twins on the street verses 4's.

As for dealership prices, I can't say because I've never purchased a new bike. I recommend buying used and letting the seller take the huge hit of depreciation. You get the same bike for much less money. Buying one with cosmetic damage tips the scales even further in your favor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was actually thinking about getting the 08 lately but i figured i could save a couple thousand with a used 07.

thats pretty much the conclusion that i had come too, that most of my friends are a little squidly.

i just saw today that yamaha's sales are down for the first quarter by a significant amount. i wonder if that would equal any kind of a sale on the new 08's?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Start smaller and you'll be riding years from now long after your poser friends have quit. Ninja 250/500 or GS500. Ninja 650 or SV650 is the biggest I would recommend. I highly suggest passing on a 600cc super sport for a first bike.

·
Its Only a 600?
319 Posts
You'll be fine on a R6 for your first bike. It all depends on how your ride, and how much you respect that machine. You can kill yourself just as fast on a 250 being stupid. Just take it slow, and wear all your gear and you'll be fine.

·
Ride for you, not others.
229 Posts
i was actually thinking about getting the 08 lately but i figured i could save a couple thousand with a used 07.

thats pretty much the conclusion that i had come too, that most of my friends are a little squidly.

i just saw today that yamaha's sales are down for the first quarter by a significant amount. i wonder if that would equal any kind of a sale on the new 08's?
I don't know if you are paying with cash or loan but it is harder to get a loan on a used bike.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
Get the 6...I dont see why people think they need a liter bike, is it so they sound tougher sayin they have an R1? Anyway...just go with the 6, its got great power for what you're going to do and you're a new rider so theres no way you're going to ride the bike past its abilities

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hate to stereotype, but it sounds to me like your friends are the typical poser squid types that make up the majority of the sportbike community. No knowledge, no skills, and a whole lot of "look at me!".

If I were shopping for a Japanese street bike I would probably want to buy an SV650. I don't think pure sportbikes are enjoyable as street bikes, and I'm not interested in any of the poser culture aspects. Additionally, I like the power delivery of twins on the street verses 4's.

As for dealership prices, I can't say because I've never purchased a new bike. I recommend buying used and letting the seller take the huge hit of depreciation. You get the same bike for much less money. Buying one with cosmetic damage tips the scales even further in your favor.

DealsGap, where are you?! 'Cuz here in the Baltimore/Washington area it's difficult to even find the used bike you want, and, if you do, it costs about $500 less than a new one. Add to that that you can't get it financed, or at least not with the awesome deals that Yamaha and most other manufacturers are offering these days. If you can find an older bike for a few grand to learn on, I'd suggest it, but more because you're going to cry the first time your new $10k bike goes down than because it's harder to handle than any other bike- you're going down no matter what you have unless you take it way slower than pretty much anyone who has the desire to ride a motorcycle is going to. Buy your new R6, put on frame sliders right away, and have fun learning to ride! Oh, and don't try to do wheelies :)

·
The E-racings Guy
82 Posts
i have had (2) 750's and (1) 1000 and (3) 600's

once you learn to ride a 600 to it's ability you don't need anything more, it can do anything a 1000 can

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks guys that the info i was looking for. now i just need to go and find a bike. i am pretty settled on an r6 although if i find a really good deal on an sv650 i may go with that as i love the way they sound with a good exhaust on them.

i'm not planning on buying an r1 i think some people thought i was. i want an r1 and had been planning on getting one until i started reading a bunch and realized i do not have the experience or skill to ride it safely. i am betting even the r6 will be a little much at first but i think i can manage.

·
Ore wa Gandamu da
360 Posts
600 supersport is not ideal for a learning rider.

But buy what you want... If your mind is set on the R6 you will probably get the R6 no matter what anyone says. Just know your safety margin while learning will be smaller.

Anyone comparing something smaller and more forgiving like a 250 or a GS/EX 500 or the SV650 with a supersport machine saying it's the same for learning purposes is being naive. If that were true, you might as well get the R1 now. Because as long as you have 'respect' for the bike, it's OK right?

Alot of people say the same thing and end up respecting their machine they're not ready for into a pole.

But since you say you rode an FZR for a little bit, you should be a little more ready for an R6 although it would probably still be a good idea to start on one of the 500s or the SV650 given your experience.

Just my .02

·
2B R <> 2B
3,703 Posts
hey everybody

so i am 22 and i have been trying to get a motorcycle for what seems like forever. i have finally got everything in line to purchase a bike and i have read what seems to me anyway to be everything i can. i have been lurking around here for a very long time , because this is actually one of the better forums besides the r1 forum.

i am looking at buying an r6 very soon most likely the 2006-07 model i was originally set on an r1 and would take nothing smaller but i have realized i do not have the experience to ride it.

my question or maybe my point? is that i have no one telling me to get a smaller bike? every one of my friends said to get the r1 or another liter bike. one even said to get a hayabusa. i just think that it is a little strange. i think i had one friend say to get a 600

so anyway the r6 will be my 1stish bike as i rode an old fzr 600 for a couple months last year. i have taken the msf and i already have all my gear minus some good gloves which i am looking at getting next week. i even have insurance in place with state farm i just need to call and pay it once i find the bike.

any ideas as what to pay for a 06/07 r6 from the dealer right now i am in CO.

sorry if that post is a little jumbled i am tired

I started on R6 and been riding for about 3 years no problems - They always make things out to be more than what they are.. R6's aren't strong as liter bikes - What I mean is the takeoff and every gear is allot stronger than a R6.

You are more likely not 12 O'clock unless you do something really stupid on a R6 than a R1. If you get a R1 learn the throttle first because if you hit it that thing is going to move. I dont think you will have trouble manuevering the bike.

1300 - That is different story - DONT GET THAT AS YOUR FIRST BIKE.. ITS REALLY HEAVY AND THE POWER DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.....

·
I m starting to eat my R6
790 Posts
But buy what you want... If your mind is set on the R6 you will probably get the R6 no matter what anyone says.

since you say you rode an FZR for a little bit, you should be a little more ready for an R6
+1 on these points

do not get 250 or else u'll get bored in a month like my friend did and then he had a hassle to sell it... purchased for 3500 and year later w/1500mi sold for 2600

i got my 6 as 1st bike last year but i've been cautious and took it easy (usually last at the meet points when riding with a group) - it paid well... i m now more confident and last week even did my 1st track day...

another opinion mentioned here was to get a naked/street bike if u plan on riding mostly in the streets.... r6 is not comfy (even though i m well used to it) and its a pain for a passenger... my friend got FZ6 and i like it more and more... been thinking about getting 2nd bike - prob something like monster, triumph tripple, or aprilla (not sure on model)

·
Ore wa Gandamu da
360 Posts
If he was a new rider, I would have recommended the 250. Anyone 'outgrowing' a 250 so fast is really just letting their ego outgrow the bike and they need something bigger to keep it in check. That are they are truly skillful and should be riding professionally or something.

If someone outgrows the 250 because they are bored with the straight line speed, why did they buy a 250 in the first place? It wasn't meant to be fast and it has alot more to offer than that. Should have at least bought the 500r instead.

Alot of people actually end up liking and keeping their 250s even if they buy another larger bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts