Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Forum Moderator
3,106 Posts
Your bike will run way to lean and could cause engine damage over a short time. Changing the headers will open up the exhaust flow more and you will require more fuel in the combustion chamber to mix with the air. In other words, the bike will run like crap. Even if it appears to run ok, it won't be. The PC is just the first step. You will also need to have it mapped properly to your bike and mods you have done. Break down and get the PCIII USB and spend the money on getting a custom map done with a good tuner such as a race shop or Dyno Jet tuning center. Once it's set up right there should be a steady pull on the dyno sheet all the way up to the rev limiter without any dips in the power curve. Air/fuel meetering plays a major part on how your bike will run. If it's not set up correctly you will waist fuel and not make the power your bike is capable of. Those free web maps are just a start and not all that great. The one I was using had two major dips in it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Skeeter said:
Your bike will run way to lean and could cause engine damage over a short time. Changing the headers will open up the exhaust flow more and you will require more fuel in the combustion chamber to mix with the air. In other words, the bike will run like crap. Even if it appears to run ok, it won't be. The PC is just the first step. You will also need to have it mapped properly to your bike and mods you have done. Break down and get the PCIII USB and spend the money on getting a custom map done with a good tuner such as a race shop or Dyno Jet tuning center. Once it's set up right there should be a steady pull on the dyno sheet all the way up to the rev limiter without any dips in the power curve. Air/fuel meetering plays a major part on how your bike will run. If it's not set up correctly you will waist fuel and not make the power your bike is capable of. Those free web maps are just a start and not all that great. The one I was using had two major dips in it.
So is it something that is plug and play? How much is it for a shop to put it in?

·
I'm To Sexy For My Raven
2,709 Posts
If you know how to prop your tank up, you can install the PCIII yourself.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yamahauler said:
If you know how to prop your tank up, you can install the PCIII yourself.

you don't literally mean take the tank off right? I know there is a latch looking piece I am suppose to lift up, but thats it.

How about the downloading portion?

When I get the system, i plug it into my comp first and DL the program in and then install it to my bike?

Honestly, I would not have even want to do all this, but I bought the bike with a full Akrapovic exhaust, so I just want everything to work correctly. Even if it brings more power, I wouldn't need it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Go to Dynojet's website http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander_iii_usb/powercommander_all_downloads.aspx?mk=15&mdl=123&yr=2003 and read the information there. It shouldn't take a beginner more than an hour to install. All you have to do is take of the 2 bolts that hold the gas tank secure near teh top, and you can lift the tank up and prop it up with a piece of wood or something. You then go ahead and connect 4 plugs. That's all for installation (instructions on dynojet site).

If you bought the PCIII new, it would cost nearly $250 for the unit and another $100 or so to have "a shop" put it in (free if you do it yourself).

To download a fuel map from the internet to the PCIII you can either "power it up" with the 9v adapter OR by having it installed on your bike while it's running (which will also give power to the PCIII).

Once the map is downloaded into the PCIII, you can then go ahead and open up the Power Commander program on your laptop, and while connected to the bike, click send map.

That's it.

·
Man I OWNED that wheelie!
324 Posts
R6_Dude said:
Honestly, I would not have even want to do all this, but I bought the bike with a full Akrapovic exhaust, so I just want everything to work correctly. Even if it brings more power, I wouldn't need it.
Its not always about making more power. Having a proper air/fuel ratio is vital in engine durability. The octane of your fuel prevents spark knock.. Too little fuel, and get ready for some serious pinging!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Skeeter said:
Nicely said. Bike also runs a little hotter as well without a pc3. Like Skeeter says, you can use the mapping through PC3 website, and get a dyno later.

·
Track Junkie
334 Posts
Are you sure you don't already have PC installed? If you got it with a full system chances are PC was installed at the same time as the exhaust.

Sounds like you don't work on your own bike. A shop should not charge you more than 1h of labor to install the unit (45-85$ depending on where you go). I believe there is an Akro map available from the PC website that should work for you, so you will not need to pay for dyno tuning.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nex said:
Are you sure you don't already have PC installed? If you got it with a full system chances are PC was installed at the same time as the exhaust.

Sounds like you don't work on your own bike. A shop should not charge you more than 1h of labor to install the unit (45-85$ depending on where you go). I believe there is an Akro map available from the PC website that should work for you, so you will not need to pay for dyno tuning.

actually there isn't. I checked. Where can I get the map?

·
Forum Moderator
3,106 Posts
R6_Dude said:
So is it something that is plug and play? How much is it for a shop to put it in?
What year bike do you have? It's not hard to install them. Just take your time and read the directions with the photos. You will need to lift the tank up then prop it with a foot long section of PVC pipe {this is what I do}. On the '06/'07 there will be one small wire coming off the PCIII harness you will need to splice into the bikes wiring harness. If I remember I think it's the blue one. Really, it's not hard to do. Like I say don't rush it and take a few breaks in between. Most of the PCIII's come loaded with a stock map for a stock bike unless you have told someone otherwise. If you feel you can't install it then take it to a shop who knows the in's and out's of sportbikes and not some off the wall shop. You want it done right. They can probably map it for you at that time too. Be advised it's going to cost a nice little penny too, but it's worth it to have the bike mapped custom for you. I'm running a full Akra Evo with a BMC filter and had mine mapped at a race shop in South Florida. After I had it done the bike pulls so much harder than it did when it was stock. It's a beast from 12K and up. My peak power is at 14.5 rpm and this is where I shift at on the track.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Skeeter said:
What year bike do you have? It's not hard to install them. Just take your time and read the directions with the photos. You will need to lift the tank up then prop it with a foot long section of PVC pipe {this is what I do}. On the '06/'07 there will be one small wire coming off the PCIII harness you will need to splice into the bikes wiring harness. If I remember I think it's the blue one. Really, it's not hard to do. Like I say don't rush it and take a few breaks in between. Most of the PCIII's come loaded with a stock map for a stock bike unless you have told someone otherwise. If you feel you can't install it then take it to a shop who knows the in's and out's of sportbikes and not some off the wall shop. You want it done right. They can probably map it for you at that time too. Be advised it's going to cost a nice little penny too, but it's worth it to have the bike mapped custom for you. I'm running a full Akra Evo with a BMC filter and had mine mapped at a race shop in South Florida. After I had it done the bike pulls so much harder than it did when it was stock. It's a beast from 12K and up. My peak power is at 14.5 rpm and this is where I shift at on the track.
Skeeter, I got an 04 and I will probably be doing the work with my buddy who knows more about it then I do.

The PC site does not list the Akrapovic full exhaust, anybody have it for an 04?

A little OT but, if I do a trade with somebody for a slip on and their stock headers, I will not need a PCIII correct?

·
Track Junkie
334 Posts
I have an 03 with full Ti Akra, but I don't think my map will work. I've got SS spec motor in there and my silencer can has been cut into a "shorty".
I'm pretty sure there is a map on PC site. Did you check other years? Your bike should work with a map from 2003-2005 and 2006-2008 R6s.
Custom map is cool and will get you more power, but expect to pay 250-450 for mapping.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nex said:
I have an 03 with full Ti Akra, but I don't think my map will work. I've got SS spec motor in there and my silencer can has been cut into a "shorty".
I'm pretty sure there is a map on PC site. Did you check other years? Your bike should work with a map from 2003-2005 and 2006-2008 R6s.
Custom map is cool and will get you more power, but expect to pay 250-450 for mapping.

Nex, it does have it for the 03, but i thought that it had to be for my year. But then again, its the same ecu so it should be ok Thanks!

·
Track Junkie
334 Posts
03-04, 07-08 R6s is pretty much the same bike. In 05 they did a few changes, biggest one was a better front fork unit with better brakes. It was the year when Yami tried to go head to head with other big 4 using their old platform. For whatever reason in 07 for R6s they went back to old forks. Motor has not changed in any significant way though, so fuel maps should work just fine.
(I'm actually glad they went back to old design, more spare parts for my 03 race bike :))

·
Forum Moderator
3,106 Posts
R6_Dude said:
A little OT but, if I do a trade with somebody for a slip on and their stock headers, I will not need a PCIII correct?
In most cases you can get away without a PC for just a slip-on using the stock headers. Although, you can fine tune it a little better with the PC. IMO I wouldn't bother with a PC if you go with a slip-on.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Skeeter said:
In most cases you can get away without a PC for just a slip-on using the stock headers. Although, you can fine tune it a little better with the PC. IMO I wouldn't bother with a PC if you go with a slip-on.
Awesome, I just ordered the PCIII from portaman so hopefully it gets here ASAP! I'll probably be posting on here for help when i do the install haha

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sent it out today around 5pm, should be there Monday. Install is a snap, just be sure to read the website thoroughly and you should be fine bud.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sounds like you've got a LOT of reading to do. It's not as difficult as you make it sounds, just read up on it from the forum searching and also the dynojet website. You can also google power commander for more info.

Here's how it works. You need to download the Power Commander software onto your laptop. The software is basically the "middleman", because it opens up a fuel map (which you also need to download) and sends it to the PCIII.

Got it so far? So you download the software from the internet, open the software program, download a fuel map from the internet, and open the fuel map WITH the software. Once you open the fuel map application with the software, you will be able to see the power curve as well as the adjustments that have been made to the fuel curve.

Okay, stay with me now. Once you are looking at the fuel map from the PCIII software, you need to choose which fuel map you think is right for your application (full exhaust, air filter, slip on, etc). Once you have chosen the fuel map, NOW YOU NEED TO SEND IT TO THE POWER COMMANDER.

You can now install the power commander onto your bike by following dynojets installation instructions. You can send a fuel map to the Power Commander by plugging the PCIII in with the USB cable, and your laptop should automatically recognize the PCIII (because you have the compatible software). To send the fuel map to the PCIII, open the fuel map and click on SEND MAP, WHILE YOUR BIKE IS ON. If your bike is NOT on, the PCIII will not be powered up.

Your fuel map is now saved onto the Power Commander (it is a hard drive). And your bike will run much better.

Again, this is a rough explanation, so do your research.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts