Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
None
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently shopping for my first real sportbike (R6) with the hopes of doing a couple track days each year.

I've noticed that Laguna Seca has a 92db restriction, which Keigwins simply say "stock exhaust". Since I am older and like quiet bikes anyway, that's fine. I'm wondering, though, about running a bike "stock". Is an R6 ('03 or later) suitable for track use without any mods?

Thanks
Richard

·
I like cake!
102 Posts
The R6 was bred for the track, modded or not it is still well capable of performing very well in the right hands. Hopefully some more track experienced guys will chime in and confirm this

Dan

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
if just for track use, any 600 will do just great. The 3rd gen R6 is race bred, so will be better for racing with an experienced rider. For someone like me, a novice, any 600 will do to learn how to ride around the track and get better in technique first. Some suspension mods would do a world of good than a full exhaust and power commander. Corner speeds >> straightaway speeds :fact

·
SLO Rider
71 Posts
Did this entire last year of track days on a bone stock '06. The stock bike is more then capable as a track bike.

FYI, the intake noise on a stock 06 or newer can still trip the db meter at Laguna which is located between turns 5 and 6. I've been told to run a gear taller through there or just not be WFO when you pass the sound booth.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I am currently shopping for my first real sportbike (R6) with the hopes of doing a couple track days each year.

I've noticed that Laguna Seca has a 92db restriction, which Keigwins simply say "stock exhaust". Since I am older and like quiet bikes anyway, that's fine. I'm wondering, though, about running a bike "stock". Is an R6 ('03 or later) suitable for track use without any mods?

Thanks
Richard
even at WFO the bike isnt that loud with the stock exhaust. I agree intake noise is more notable.
Definitely set your bike up with more aggressive gearing.;)

·
'08 R6 Track Only!
60 Posts
In europe there's a noise restriction on almost every track.

1st +2de gen. R6 was no problem, if you used a db-eater.
3th gen. give's a lot of intake sound, and sometime hits the db-meter stock!

Just kick it 1 gear higher, and there's no problem.
Dont use a FULL race air filter, they would be giving to much noise for sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts