Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a real quick question on cornering. I know all about counter steering and I'm a believer.

Heres my question.. When your leaning off the bike (most of your weight is on your feet keeping your hands light) how much "steering" do you do with the front wheel (counter steering).

Does the bike turn because your leaning off the bike (changing the center of gravity)? Physics would tell me thats how it works. But I was wondering when your leaning off the bike do you also counter steer? or do you keep the wheels straight and allow the change in center of gravity to turn the bike through the corner.

(Yes I'm getting Keith codes twist of the wrist.)

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Your weight off the bike will keep the bike going around a corner for the most part, but once you get set in the corner, you apply as much force is needed to keep the bike there. It's not much, but there is force there. The real force into the bars comes from flicking the bike back and force or entering/exiting the corner. The more force you can put in the bars, the faster you can go from straight to cornering, which means the deeper you can go before starting the turn, which means a deeper apex and a stronger, straighter drive coming out of the corner.

·
Will work for tires.
169 Posts
I agree with agent4573 but if you just try and go out and apply all that your going to have a rough time. Talk to ten different experienced riders and you'll get ten answers. Best thing to do is take a track school. What it feels like your doing and what your body is actually doing in a turn is often very different. Usually photos and video are the eye openers. Having someone in controlled conditions who can fallow you and slowly adjust your body position is the best method IMHO. when I go out with new riders I pick the two things I see need to be fixed the most and help them with those because if i tell them everything at once they will just get overloaded and not fix anything. Bottom line there is no better advancer than seat time bud.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
when you counter steer.......your bike "dives" into a corner. the more you counter steer the more you dive in

·
Registered
336 Posts
I just read "Total Control" and it stated that when you approach a turn get into position first (hang off) when you do this it will lean the bike over some (just from hanging off), so you have to apply input to the bars to keep the bike vertical until you hit your turn in point.

Just try it for yourself get some speed going straight and start to hang off, it will want to lean the bike a bit, so you have to correct for that to continue straight.

But bottom line you still need to countersteer to get full lean

·
I whore my R6
1,874 Posts
yes, leaning the bike makes you turn just like everyday riding, as stated before, dont go out and just try this stuff because if you read "just push on the bars to countersteer" your not getting the full story. "pushing" the bars can cause the bike's front wheel to turn too much and then you wreck. get some track time and possibly some professional training and work your way up to the whole dragging knee thing. if you just go out and try it all at once, it could have bad consequences

*the views and ideas expressed in this post are not those of a professional, instructor, or even a sane person. take any and all information with a grain of salt. midnightsun13 will not be responsible for any injury or damage obtained by the use of information in this post. this information not to be reused without the expressed written consent of midnightsun13*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts