Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my right knee wont get down. my toes are on the pegs and ill hit my toe sliders before my knee... does that seem even kind of right or is my body positioning F*&ked? i only sit one cheek on the seat and i feel like im off the bike enough. Do i just need to go faster?

·
Prof AZN Lowballer
311 Posts
it happened to me too, the reason was, the track has more left turns than right turns, and my boots was too big....

·
Registered
160 Posts
I heard there was this dude on here that could probably answer most of your questions. I think his name was Tony Chin or something like that ; )

·
Dangerously Irish
9,552 Posts
Body position and lack of confidence in right hand turns could be your issue. Personally my body position is way better on my right than my left, but a fear on leaning on the throttle side keeps me from leaning to far over. Due to the fact I'm afraid of adjusting my body or maybe hitting something I don't see in the turn and *****ing up my throttle control.

·
End of the month!
41 Posts
If body position is not the issue, relax your grip and shoulders, let the bike lean and lock into it's line. Don't hold it up by the bars.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If body position is not the issue, relax your grip and shoulders, let the bike lean and lock into it's line. Don't hold it up by the bars.
If he is dragging his toe slider I will go out on a limb and guess that he is not holding the bike up with his arms. Hitting toe sliders means he has the bike leaned way over. If your knee isn't getting down check your BP. As I said earlier: Toe, Knee, Chin. Line yourself up.

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
The general rule is, if you can drag your toe, you can drag your knee. Most individuals have a tough time going right because of a weird fear. Because the right hand must be the dominant hand on a motorcycle, it is the one that requires the most control and manipulating over as well. Usually body position is decided by comfort and imitation. You imitate someone else and if it's comfortable you continue the action. If it's not comfortable you generally ditch the idea and move on.

I think in your case you may have a BP that is fighting with your level of comfort in right turns. You look to be a pretty big dude and you ride on top of the tank and simply shift your butt off the seat and stick a knee out. You seem to be able to get your knee 90 deg out from the bike based on your avatar pic? This may not be possible for you while going right because your so crunched up on the bars and you require a particular arm/wrist articulation to control the bike? Try getting back on the seat a little more to open some space up and getting your head further to the side. You look fine where your at currently, but doing this will allow you to grab the bar more from an angle instead of dead on. This will also get you further off the seat and should allow for more leg reach? worth a shot. If you look at my sig you will see that my arm comes at the bar at more of an angle than your does.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys. so i just got back from the snake and im seeing myself Pu*&y foot it around rights most of the time. i started bringing my speed up then i noticed my a$$ is planted on the seat. i moved it over next. now it feels really unnatural so im slowing back down cuz im griping the throttle to hold myself. UHGGG frustrating!!!! i should have a photo coming soon cuz rockstorephoto snapped a few of me taking right turns. i think it must be that im not getting off the bike really. even when i had my a$$ off i noticed my head was centered (i think a lot of that has to do with being up on the tank like you said Luke. once i get the photos ill post them up so i can get some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. please haha.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im really anxious for these pics to get posted. im hitting toes on both left and right turns, both tires are getting rippling. i just need this knee to make contact. it gives me a confidence boost cuz i know how low i am and that im doing it right. once i got my left down on the snake i felt like a damn rocket up the hill. (minus right turns -__-)

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
CONSTRUCTIVE criticism:

1. Why do you need to drag your knee on the street? Take it to the track.
2. While you are at the track, get some personal instruction on your body position. It will help much, much more than advice on the internet.
3. If your toes are hitting before your knee, you're leaning too far and sitting in the seat to much. You need to get off the bike more; the bike needs to be more upright and your body needs to be lower. You should only have one ass cheek on the seat. You are uncomfortable hanging off on the throttle side because you are using your arms to hold yourself on the bike. You need to be using your knee on the tank and your core strength to hold you on the bike. I'll bet when we see the pictures it will look like number one above, not number three. Go look at any picture of a pro racer that you can find: draw an imaginary line up the center of the bike and their head will always be below it.

EDIT: I just noticed this is in the track section. I don't know what "the snake" is. If it's a race track, ignore point 1.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
biggest reason to getting it down is for confidence. when it goes down easy like my left knee im a faster smoother rider. also if my knee is touching easily then i know my body position is correct. i dont care to have scratches on my pucks its just getting the body position down to be a more confident and smooth rider. also the snake is mulholland. its a street a very very fun street

·
track junkie
470 Posts
I didn't see anyone post anything about foot posistion on peg. what if hes got big feet? what if he doesn't have the ball of the foot on the peg? I was tought to have the ball of the foot at the edge of the peg. ball being the round bone just behind the big toe if your foot is there and not turned out but with the toes pointing somwhat forward the toe should not touch. you should litterally lowside cause you ran out of tire before the toe touches. i think it's got something to do with your foot-to-peg posistion. looking at your avatar your torso should be lower also. touching the tank and your head should be where that mirror is. get rid of that thing so you can see through the corner. and your forearm should run a straight line from the elbow through the wrist and all the way to the fork. one nice srtaight line arm and bar. to do that your hand should hold the grip so the trigger finger and thumb do not touch the peice of the grip that goes up next to the signal switch. in stead that piece of rubber your trigger finger and the grip will make a triangle shape oh and try the trackday suggestion. do one with a group like NESBA or Ridesmart. the instructors will show you as much as you want to know.

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
I didn't see anyone post anything about foot posistion on peg. what if hes got big feet? what if he doesn't have the ball of the foot on the peg?
Good point. I hope we haven't been giving all this advice when really the only problem is OP's boot heel is against the foot peg.

·
Prof AZN Lowballer
311 Posts
i was dragging my knees and toes on the track, eventually i grind through my toe guards. and my toes were barely staying on the foot pegs and i almost felt off my bike couple times

after squeeze my feet into size 41 boots from 43 boots, it never happen again.

with size 43 even with only tip of my toes on foot pegs, the tip of the boots still stick out more than it should, that was the conclusion i came up with...

but that just me

1 - 20 of 32 Posts