Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I got an R6000
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always knew that the R6 runs a bit hot but lately a friend of mine took my bike out for a run and was alarmed by the fact that the temp was consistently around 185 - 200. I told him that was normal and on the highway it gets down to 165 depending on the outside temp.

So what do you guys have as a normal temp??

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
This is a common question on the forum. You can probably find the answer to this by doing a search, but since I'm typing already...
I live in FL, it's hot here. When I ride, my bike usually runs at a 195-210, when I stop it has gotten as high as 225, but by 212 the fan is kicking on, and really it only gets that hot when I am stopped (at a light or an intersection) Once I start moving again, the temp comes back down near 200.

·
No more side boob for you
1,136 Posts
average highway temp 160-170

city temp 180-190 if not stopped at a light.

·
Registered
167 Posts
This is a common question on the forum. You can probably find the answer to this by doing a search, but since I'm typing already...
I live in FL, it's hot here. When I ride, my bike usually runs at a 195-210, when I stop it has gotten as high as 225, but by 212 the fan is kicking on, and really it only gets that hot when I am stopped (at a light or an intersection) Once I start moving again, the temp comes back down near 200.
Same as above and I am in NYC.

·
I got an R6000
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So is there anything you can do to reduce the temp of the bike? Heat wrapping the headers or something like that.

And what do you track guys do, I know a cooler engine is a faster engine

and sorry for not searching for the topic before hand

·
I ride bitches year round
1,834 Posts
The track guys run plain water due to flammability issues of the coolant. I don't know if this affects the temp at all. I would say just ride it, its normal for the temp to push up into the 200 degree mark...

·
Registered
167 Posts
To be honest, I do nothing. It doesn't bother me.

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
I average 200 in VA and FL

when I was riding in below freezing weather the bike still got now lower than 165

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yeah...I average on the highway somewhere between 160F & 185F. Stop & go traffic is somewhere between 200F & 220F.

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
same as the posts above

·
Hey Guy
5,290 Posts
I have a wrapped header, and it doesnt make a difference. You can get something like water wetter, but i dont think its going to make a difference. If it gets over 225, you might have a problem with the cooling system. It wont hurt parts until about 270 or so.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
my bike seems to run about 185-190 in 95F+ temps, but it's lower than my 600RR use to run.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts