Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing some research and talking to people I have decided not to buy the R6. I Rode my friends '03 R6 and it wasn't all that comfortable to ride and when it gets to about 8500RPM the power just hits like a ton of bricks. Didn't know if it had something to do with me (only 5'7, 140lbs) or if the bike wasn't quite my riding style. Then i talked to my friends neighbor who has an '03 R1 and he let me take it around the block a few times and the power (although way more) is a lot smoother being deliverd and made me more confident in riding, plus it was more comfortable even though they seem like they wouldn't be different. Needless to say im going to be in the market soon for an '02-'03 R1. I may get flamed for this but i know not to push my limits and either bike would kill me or hurt me in a split second. The odd thing, insurance wasn't to bad for me being only 18 with a modified '86 T/A. The R6 would have been $47 a month and the R1 is only $69 a month! Also i plan on taking the MSF course and taking it very slow. Wish me luck, later guys/gals....Keep it rubber side down.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Dude... I sure hope you've ridden before because you're going to kill yourself if you get an R1. As for the R6 being my first bike, and scaring the SHITITE out of me!!! I can't even imagine riding an R1 yet. If you haven't ridden it is downright foolish to get an R1.

Wait, you said you rode one... ok, well still, but why not the R6. I have an '03 and I can ride it all day long for like two or three days and not hurt. Power is there, you just have to tap into correctly. Goodluck with you insurance though... ha

-Solace

·
Registered
118 Posts
hey, im a first timer on an R6and been ridin an 04 r6 for about 5 months now. ive never ridden an R1, and dont think i would if i had a chance. im 6'0'', 155 and the power on the r6 scares the bejesuz out of me...i dont even wanna think about an R1's power. your arguement is true about taking it slow and not pushing the limit, so in that case, why even a need for an R1. i dont see how it can be THAT much more comfortable, plus its just heavier and costs more.
i know its annoying when people say crap about "youre an idiot for starting on an R6", (i think as long as you know that you can control yourself, you will be ok) but i would say that if about 60% of riders call you nuts for startin on a 6, 99.99% would call you insane for starting on an R1.
(and just because you have ridden an r1 around the block a few times, doesnt make a good justification for saying/thinking you can handle one)

sorry for "preaching", but thats pretty much what anyone would say.
either way, GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Over on R1-Forum.com there are a few riders who started out on the R1 and say its perfectly fine if you respect the bike. Plus the reason the R6 scares the crap out of most people is because its fairly dosile until about 8500RPM when it wakes up and scares you. The R1 that i rode was smooth and made ME not as scared to ride.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
well if you spend a few extra bucks when u get a 03-04 R6 and get a power commander it takes out that sudden power spike. it will make the power start lower in the Rpms and not scare the crap outta ya. if ya get one older then 03 u can jet it and flo commander it and it will do the same thing. but to each his own and be careful with whatever u get :cheers

·
Registered
712 Posts
Well speedfreak both bikes are awesome bikes, but if it were me i'd definately go with the r6. I've ridden both my r6 and my cousins r1. You will never come close to using all of the r1's power potential but that rush of power on the six is a lot of fun after you ride it a few more times, or you could get a power commander to eliminate that. both bikes to me are equally comfortable but the r6 handles better, better gas mileage, costs less, lower insurance...not to mention if you whack the throttle on a r6 you'll get the wheel up just a little,,,but if you forget and whack the throttle on the r1 you could end up 12 o'clocking...

But i am not saying if you go with the r1 you'll die or that you're an idiot...as a fellow rider the last thing i want to do is scare someone. In the end it's your choice. If you get the r1, just be extra careful. Take care bro and ride safe! :cheers

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've been riding for approximatly 2 months and i've got rather comfortable on my 6(putting close to 100miles a day) but on the rare occasion i've scared the shyt outa myself, and on a 1 i'd prolly be done data.... Such as at a light when your not paying attention and your in between cars and they start to move and you rush to accelerate and pop the clutch accidently..... that has scared the shyt outa me and on a R1 i'd have 12 o clock eazily... R1 first time rider is ridiculous.. just my cents .. But like previously said " Not trying to tell you what to ride or how to ride it... just be safe!!!!"

·
Registered
443 Posts
Good luck bro,

I would buy the R6, the sixx does have awesome scary power above 8500rpm, but the R1 has way more. And as Loki said..the power commander kills that spike, very smooth. With a R6, you can sit on the throttle more freely, without it sending you back in time.

R6 is a fun ride

Wish u luck, and take the MSF.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Speaking of the MSF.... what are your opinions of the MSF Advanced course? Also what do they teach?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After some serious thought im not exactly sure what to get now. Im now on the fence between the '04 R1 (heard it was way better than '02/'03 with handling, comfort and a smoother power delivery) and '04 R6. I started to ask myself if i would get bored and annoyed with having the R1 to start out on. Having all that power and you can only use a tiny fraction without it taking off like a rocket or wheelieing. From what i hear the R6 you can have way more fun without having to wory about the wheelieing or way more rapid acceleration than the 1.

I know either bike is FAST (and good looking) and i know i have the power and common sense to control the thottle and not ride outside my abilities but was more concerned with comfort (the 6 really isn't too bad but thought the 1 was a bit more comfortable) and the power delivery. When i rode both bikes it wasn't very far and i kept the RPM's low on both bikes so i shouldn't be making my decision yet. I asked a question in onother post (Is the R6 your first bike?) wich will help even more with my decision.
Thanks for the help and support and either way im looking forward to joining the 2 wheel club. Oh and sorry for the long post! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
170 Posts
"Ultimately, the only power to which man should aspire is that which he exercises over himself."
- Elie Wiesel (1928 - )

Though the intended point may not be exact in our case, I think it is still relevant to all riders.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
All of my friends that started out on bigger bikes have a hard time riding except in straight line. If you think the R1's power comes on smoother, just wait till you hit it's torque range!!!! Then you will notice the 30 more pounds of torque and it will turn all your whites to a brown shade.

hell, i still get scared on my 6 at times, and my roomies R1 is just something else!!

Goodluck with whatever you get, displacement on anyone's first bike is no joke. I'm very glad that i started out on an F3, I learned tons more than i would have starting out on my 6, and my F3 was a pooch compared to my R6 :hammer

·
Registered
836 Posts
The power of the R1 with a new rider is a recipe for a nasty highside, especially in corners. Not saying you can't do it on the 6, but I can get on the gas earlier in corners without worrying about the rear leaving me.

Also, I have taken the MSF ERC about 4 times. It is a great refresher on steet riding techniques, especially mental. You essentially do the same drills as in the Basic course, except on your own bike. It isn't going to teach you any high-performance riding techniques... its just going to refresh what you learned in the basic course. Very valuable for street riders.

If you are looking for a class to get some high performance riding skills, Keith Code holds classes all over the country every year so there is bound to be one close to you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why are you buying a NEW bike for your first bike is the only question that comes to mind. Buy and older bike with a lot less ass and become a good rider before you buy a bike for looks. I know way too many guys that have all the best gear and best looking bikes and cant ride them to save their ass. You ARE going to go down it is ALMOST a fact... There are very few that have not.. I just dont understand buying a $10000 machine when you are a $2500 rider... No offense, I dont know you, but as a first bike an 04 anything is a financially bad idea, forget the ability aspect. Good luck, ride safe.

Patrick
USMC

·
Registered
963 Posts
It's alright to buy a new bike if you take it easy... very, very easy. Most of friends bought new bikes (600cc and above) as their first bikes, and none of them crashed in them. Did they lay them down? Yeah, some of them did, but it was mostly when they started out and didn't know how to stop properly or set their foot down in an oil slick on the road.

A friend of mine started out on a r1 2001. He's put a lot of miles on it so far (i think it's in the 15,000 range, but don't quote me on that - my brain may be exaggerating). Has he laid her down? Yeah, when he first started out. Mostly because of bad footing when he stopped. But he's never laid her down when riding. He's taken several sportbike courses on the track, so his skills are phenomenal now. But the thing was, is that he was really fucking careful when he first got the bike. White knuckles for a long time. Although he rides great now, he says his new bike is going to be a r6 because it handles better and is a lot easier to corner with – and that’s fun for him. I’ve never ridden an r1, so I can’t really say. But they say that some people can ride an r6 like it’s a 1000cc bike…

·
Registered
91 Posts
Its been said but ill say it again.. If you/ hes carefull on it then its no big deal, hell get used to the power, its not like the 6 is that much slower, i rode my buddys r1 and if oyur nice to it then itll be nice to you. The smae is with the 6.

so dont hate on the boy, i wish i could have afforded an r1 but the 6 is good enough untill next summer( not saying i dont like it, I F ING LOVE THE THING but the r1 is my dream bike)

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
R6speedfreak said:
After doing some research and talking to people I have decided not to buy the R6. I Rode my friends '03 R6 and it wasn't all that comfortable to ride and when it gets to about 8500RPM the power just hits like a ton of bricks. Didn't know if it had something to do with me (only 5'7, 140lbs) or if the bike wasn't quite my riding style. Then i talked to my friends neighbor who has an '03 R1 and he let me take it around the block a few times and the power (although way more) is a lot smoother being deliverd and made me more confident in riding, plus it was more comfortable even though they seem like they wouldn't be different. Needless to say im going to be in the market soon for an '02-'03 R1. I may get flamed for this but i know not to push my limits and either bike would kill me or hurt me in a split second. The odd thing, insurance wasn't to bad for me being only 18 with a modified '86 T/A. The R6 would have been $47 a month and the R1 is only $69 a month! Also i plan on taking the MSF course and taking it very slow. Wish me luck, later guys/gals....Keep it rubber side down.
:stupic

point blank. an R6 is a huge bike to has as a 1st bike. An R1 is death. I will already say R.I.P. and thank you for increasing my insurance.

I hope it does not come to that, but it has a great possiblity.

Say rubber side down, and hope that the best of luck. You're going to need it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts