Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Wish I Could Ride More
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, Im going to boot camp for the Marines October 12th, i was supposed to go January 18th but got a phone call from my recruiter this morning saying im shipping out to basic in 19 days. So im fcukin pumped! I cant wait! :YEA

But i need to know how to store my bike properly for the 3 months i will be gone, plus the 2 months when im at SOI (school of infantry) which is about 10 days after recruit training. Do i unplug the battery? I heard something about tank stablizer but i know nothing about it.
So can i get some expert advice before i leave :sing

·
. . .
65 Posts
Some people say fill the tank some people say drain it, that's your call.. I always fill it. Stabil in the gas tank (its like mixing 2 stroke oil X oz. for X gal.) Oil change I would suggest, I always change it before I park it that way any sludge and what not does not sit in the bottom end. Disconnect battery and recommend a battery tender of some sort (do not sit the battery on concrete block of wood works best) lube the chain to keep moisture off of it to help prevent rust, if you have stands put it up on them if not its not a big deal. I think that covers everything, if I come up with anything else I will post back up here... Any questions PM me its faster b/c I dont check this site everyday but I do check my email so I will see the notification. Good luck and Thank you...

·
formerly usmc08r6
1,313 Posts
well i'm no expert but i'm on the 6th month of my 7 month deployment and i just have my wife start it every week and let it run for a while. so if you have somebody that can do that for you it should work because after you graduate boot camp you will have 10 days on leave so you can ride it and stuff to get the parts moving and flowing again so i dont see a problem just having somebody start it every now and then while your gone. same thing for SOI (i'm assuming your gonna be a grunt?) after SOI you will get orders for you permanent duty station (don't go to lejune) once you get to your duty station you will be able to get your bike and have it again- this whole course of action requires you to ask somebody you can rely on to start it on a regular basis that you won't have to keep reminding as you won't be able to make phone calls throughout boot camp only write letters.....also make sure nobody is sending you packages at boot, only letters trust me it won't be good for you

another step you could do that alot of guys i know do is take your gas tank of and get all of the fuel out of it and leave it on stands

·
Wish I Could Ride More
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the great info guys. So yeah i have a brother who will be home with the bike, ill have him start it maybe twice a week, then ill ride the shit out of it when on leave. so why not camp lejune? i was thinking pendelton as my first choice. and yeah im going to be a grunt, but my dream and goal is to be a scout sniper but i cannot sign up for sniper school until im a Lcpl.

·
formerly usmc08r6
1,313 Posts
lejune is packed, so is pendleton but it's bigger than lejune, and its also in the middle of a shithole town and crappy weather

·
Wish I Could Ride More
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh ok.. where are you stationed?..plus right now a base is a base to me, but what do i know..i just want to hurry up and get deployed to afghanistan before obama decides to wrap this whole thing up. i mean i didnt join the Marines, infantry at that, to sit on a base.

·
formerly usmc08r6
1,313 Posts
i'm stationed at 29 palms, be heading to pendleton in january, was in okinawa apr 2007-may2009 with a deployment to iraq.....don't rush too fast to get deployed make sure you got everything down first

·
TopGearAmbitiousButRubish
2,233 Posts
What you need to do is get some real heavy duty hooks in the ceiling. Then you put the hooks through the rims and store it upside down just like you would a bicycle.

·
loves riding his 6
802 Posts
have fun at boot camp. semper fi

·
Hakuna Matata, btches!
1,493 Posts
Fill the tank with Stable FULL, change oil, check all fluid levels, put bike on stands, cover. See you later!

I did the same thing when i deployed to iraq and when i came home on R&R i went to storage and jumped it off the truck. It started right up and off i went.

·
Wish I Could Ride More
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i'm stationed at 29 palms, be heading to pendleton in january, was in okinawa apr 2007-may2009 with a deployment to iraq.....don't rush too fast to get deployed make sure you got everything down first
yeah your right, thanks for the advice

have fun at boot camp. semper fi
Thanks!
stabalizer in the fuel tank, get it up on stands, change oil. you should be fine from there on in. its being kept in a garage or some sort of covered storage right?
yup, its gonna be in the garage
Fill the tank with Stable FULL, change oil, check all fluid levels, put bike on stands, cover. See you later!
now what if i changed the oil and oil filter about 2 months ago..do i still have to change it now? also when you say fill the tank with stable full, does that mean the whole tank with this stabilzer or a full tank of gas and then x amount of stable.
also where do i get this stuff from? and what is overall better for the bike, going the stablizer route, or having my bro start up the bike and let it run twice a week?
I did the same thing when i deployed to iraq and when i came home on R&R i went to storage and jumped it off the truck. It started right up and off i went.
did you do anything to the battery before you left? last thing i want when i come back is a dead battery

·
"Krypton"
1,086 Posts
fill the tank, it dont need stable, gas breaks down faster when it gets hot, thats why snowblowers never start up at the start of their season but lawnmowers do.

Source:
I used to be a small engine mechanic and a mower shop

Put the battery on a tender.

If you got someone, have them start it once a month but tell them to just let it idle... no revving hmmm how the F do you spell that???? brain fart

·
Wish I Could Ride More
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
fill the tank, it dont need stable, gas breaks down faster when it gets hot, thats why snowblowers never start up at the start of their season but lawnmowers do.

Source:
I used to be a small engine mechanic and a mower shop

Put the battery on a tender.

If you got someone, have them start it once a month but tell them to just let it idle... no revving hmmm how the F do you spell that???? brain fart
so if i have someone start it up and let it idle do i still need a tender? wtf is a battery tender anyway..?
just sell it and get a new one after ur first deployment. im sure u wont be state side long.

Have fun and give'em hell!
Thanks man, i sure will.
oh and ive put too much time and money, the 6 stays

1 - 17 of 17 Posts