Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
You will need the stock dog bones for the rear suspension. Then lower the forks down so the top of the tube (not cap) is flush with the top edge of the triple clamp. You will also have to move the handlebars back underneath the top clamp.

To do all of that you need to find away to support the front end so no weight is on the forks. Loosen the pinch bolts and slide the fork down. This is all in the service manual which you can download for free from r6messagenet (google search). Follow the directions in service manual to replace the dog bones as well.

And just to be sure I'd check your front tire is OEM spec and they didn't change this as well because that think looks "slammed low".

I would then take your bike to a reputable suspension guy and get your suspension set to your weight. Who knows how much the original owner changed the settings.

·
nova r6
3,217 Posts
You will need the stock dog bones for the rear suspension. Then lower the forks down so the top of the tube (not cap) is flush with the top edge of the triple clamp. You will also have to move the handlebars back underneath the top clamp.

To do all of that you need to find away to support the front end so no weight is on the forks. Loosen the pinch bolts and slide the fork down. This is all in the service manual which you can download for free from r6messagenet (google search). Follow the directions in service manual to replace the dog bones as well.

And just to be sure I'd check your front tire is OEM spec and they didn't change this as well because that think looks "slammed low".

I would then take your bike to a reputable suspension guy and get your suspension set to your weight. Who knows how much the original owner changed the settings.
For the earlier models the clipons were on top like that they didnt go underneath until the start of the 3rd gen in 2006

OP easiest way to get bike back to stock would be used oem lowering links (dogbones) in the rear, used unmodified kickstand and the service manual for torque settings and they will tell you the fork height in the front

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
What benefit comes from it being this low?
lt lets everyone know you cant ride worth a shit and that you are skurred to twist the wick.

lowered suspension used to indicate you had a fast drag racing bike. Not like a 600 but 1100cc or larger. It meant you didnt need any lengths or advantage to line up or get a lane. It signalled you were making at least 150hp and north of 80 ft lbs of torque.
Somewhere in the Honda civic Eco-box dreans if 15s mod phase did some clueless dipshit lowered (and stretched) a bike because they thought it looked cool or had a 23" inseam. Obviously the person was not a scholastic type.

·
nova r6
3,217 Posts

·
nova r6
3,217 Posts
After looking, it seems the rear was stock. I only briefly got to ride, but it feels better.
Thats good, just check the preload on the shock also, some people think that they are like adjustable coil overs and crank down on the spring to try and lower it also

This is the side profile of a completely stock bike for reference

1 - 16 of 16 Posts