Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
MY R1 IS A BEAST !!
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just had a quick question, was detailing my bike today and noticed these nuts and bolts where loose and different. Can you guys take a look and let me know, what they are, and how they should be??? Really appreciate the help, just starting out here guys.

Attachments

·
Phi Phi K A
823 Posts
They are your chain adjuster bolts. They should be tightened down when the notches are the same on both side on the plates.

In the second pic, loosen the left nut until it hits the plate, then tighten the right nut. You need two open wrenches for this. Before you tighten them all the way down, make sure both plates are on the same notch and the chain has about an inch of play in it. Just keep fooling with it until you get it right. Oh, and you need a rear stand to do it right.

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Damn dude, hope you weren't riding that way - russian-roulette is a lot less painful!
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

·
MY R1 IS A BEAST !!
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, i still don't understand how i should adjust the bolts? Can you guys give me some more info. Thanks

·
Phi Phi K A
823 Posts
Hey guys, i still don't understand how i should adjust the bolts? Can you guys give me some more info. Thanks
What don't you understand? Grab some wrenches and start turning. Lefty loosy, righty tighty.

Look, it's simple to understand. Use your second pic okay. Looking at the pic. The left nut is actually a bolt that drives into the swingarm. You have to loosen it so the head is snugged up against the adjuster plate. The right nut is actually a nut that is threaded onto that bolt. You have to tighten it down so it snuggs up against the swingarm which will hold the bolt tight. When the plates on both sides show the same amount of notches that are to the rear of the plate(to the left if your looking at the second pic), and the chain has about an inch of play, then you are aligned correctly and the chain is good. Now tighten down the adguster nuts.

·
MY R1 IS A BEAST !!
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok i tightened the screws, and figured out how to move that plate (had to loosen the tire bolt) and then hit it with a wrench over lol. Anyways they are both on the 8th notch over? I'm not sure how to tell if thats the right setting. Thanks

Attachments

·
Phi Phi K A
823 Posts
Ok i tightened the screws, and figured out how to move that plate (had to loosen the tire bolt) and then hit it with a wrench over lol. Anyways they are both on the 8th notch over? I'm not sure how to tell if thats the right setting. Thanks

Sorry, forgot to mention that you had to loosen the axle nut. My bad bro.

If they are both showing 8 lines and they are tight and the chain has about an inch of play up and down from the center, then you should be good to go.

·
MY R1 IS A BEAST !!
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you guys think that the 8th notch would be straight, i was riding today, without any issues, just want to make sure its safe lol

·
Phi Phi K A
823 Posts
Do you guys think that the 8th notch would be straight, i was riding today, without any issues, just want to make sure its safe lol
It does not matter what notch its on so long as they are both on the same notch and there is no more than an inch of play in the chain.

Do you need a video? LOL

·
MACGYVER 05 R6 NJ
4,033 Posts

·
Will work for track time
19,491 Posts
I have mine on 7.5

Every bike is different because your chain wears over time. I have about 1 1/4 of play and when I went to the track they said that next time I need to have a tiny bit more play in the chain. Now that you know how to adjust your chain, changing your own tires is a breeze!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts