Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lately i've noticed that when i start to lean the bike through a turn i can feel it losing grip on the front tire. the tread isnt low, and i havnt messed with the suspension settings either

im wondering if its just because it's getting colder (im in the chicago area)? even after ive been riding for a bit and the tires are warm to the touch it still does it, although i know the pavement is still cold.

im just wondering do u think it's the temperature? or do u think it's something else? it does it turning both left and right and there isnt anything noticeable on the tire like oil or anything

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Replace your valve cover gasket... it will keep the light seepage from getting on your front tire.
haahhaha

OP, since you have a 3yo bike, have you replaced the fork oil yet?
Old oil will have effect on how the forks articulate compared to new oil...

Id start there first...

And yes, cold asphalt will do that as well...

·
10,295 Posts
^^^ that one as well...especially if its colder out than normal...the tire temps wont get as normal as quick...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Replace your valve cover gasket... it will keep the light seepage from getting on your front tire.
:lmao i had to read that twice to realize what u were talking about

haahhaha

Id start there first...

no i havnt touched the forks. i didnt realize it needed to be done that often..or that u even do that. since it's 3 years old and only 4,500 miles i didnt figure there would be anything wrong with the forks

·
10,295 Posts
:lmao i had to read that twice to realize what u were talking about

no i havnt touched the forks. i didnt realize it needed to be done that often..or that u even do that. since it's 3 years old and only 4,500 miles i didnt figure there would be anything wrong with the forks
definitely...fork oil breaks down with age just like engine oil...

and especially if those 4500 miles have some flop downs from wheelies (not saying you do that...but you get my point)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tire pressures?
i checked the tire pressure, it's at 29 which is alright

definitely...fork oil breaks down with age just like engine oil...

and especially if those 4500 miles have some flop downs from wheelies (not saying you do that...but you get my point)
i wheelie every now and then (see sig) but not really very often so that's probably not responsible for most of it

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
I would start with tire pressure. You can lower it a little for more grip, but a street tire can't get much lower than 30 psi. I would say that 28 psi cold is the lowest you can safely run a front street tire. The second thing you can try is to get more weight over the front of the bike. You may need to start working on getting your chest on the tank, basically getting more weight on the front of the bike.

If that doesn't work it could be that you have too much rebound dialed in on the front forks. The temperature will effect traction as well and if it is colder than is has been it will certainly reduce traction a little.

·
10,295 Posts
I would start with tire pressure. You can lower it a little for more grip, but a street tire can't get much lower than 30 psi. I would say that 28 psi cold is the lowest you can safely run a front street tire. The second thing you can try is to get more weight over the front of the bike. You may need to start working on getting your chest on the tank, basically getting more weight on the front of the bike.

If that doesn't work it could be that you have too much rebound dialed in on the front forks. The temperature will effect traction as well and if it is colder than is has been it will certainly reduce traction a little.
Do you think viscosity of the fork oil would be a culprit as well?

·
Just another r6'er
955 Posts
haahhaha

Id start there first...

how often should you change it?

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
your fork oil has nothing to do with it. you are not riding at race speeds here. even if one of the forks was empty you probably wouldn't notice.

first of all 29psi for a normal street tire is far too low. set it around 32-36. trust me I run my tires at that on the street and they grip just fine. that's how much psi they end up with hot at the track. running it at 29 is putting too much flex in the carcass. that's probably what you are feeling.

some tires with miles just loose good grip ability. what kind do you have? and if you even say stock dunlops or dunlop qualifier I promis you a new set is all you need.
the qualifier in my basement is as hard as a rock. they are pretty poor tires in my opinion. I never liked street dunlop tires. they always slide around a lot. but you knew it was going to happen. so some guys like it, I can't stand it.

·
^^^ Ginger here...
386 Posts
If you're still running stock tires, you might jsut be out riding them. I have the stock tires with less then a year on them and i feel like this is happening to me....just my .02.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
your fork oil has nothing to do with it. you are not riding at race speeds here. even if one of the forks was empty you probably wouldn't notice.

first of all 29psi for a normal street tire is far too low. set it around 32-36. trust me I run my tires at that on the street and they grip just fine. that's how much psi they end up with hot at the track. running it at 29 is putting too much flex in the carcass. that's probably what you are feeling.

some tires with miles just loose good grip ability. what kind do you have? and if you even say stock dunlops or dunlop qualifier I promis you a new set is all you need.
the qualifier in my basement is as hard as a rock. they are pretty poor tires in my opinion. I never liked street dunlop tires. they always slide around a lot. but you knew it was going to happen. so some guys like it, I can't stand it.
Do you have paint on your tires?
i dont ride a gixxer haha

If you're still running stock tires, you might jsut be out riding them. I have the stock tires with less then a year on them and i feel like this is happening to me....just my .02.
my tires are still the stockers. i dont know that im out riding them though. fore example, today i was going around this nice smooth corner that's probably about a 120-130 degree corner going maybe 35-40mph. as soon as i started to lean it to the degree that you need to to take that corner all the sudden the front tire just slipped and i had to straighten it back up and slow down a little bit. so we're not talking crazy aggressive cornering. it just seems like once i hit a certain amount of lean angle (and it's not that big of a lean angle either) they just start sliding. and i can feel it doing it even going slow when i hit that lean angle. u can feel it feeling a little unstable before it does it, then it'll just start sliding

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would blame two things.

As your tires age, they tend to be a little less grippy (independant of thread depth) plus the temps nowadays are cool enough to lose grip.

At least on the 6S I need 36PSI. I think 29 would be a good starting point if one was tracking it, but for street driving, the manual is probably a little closer to what you want. At least that's the way I understood it with my cars.

·
10,295 Posts

ok...my bad, I honestly thought old fork oil would give feedback the OP was referring to...

At least thats what Ive read...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the tires are 3 years old so that could be it combined with colder temps, and lower tire pressure. ive just been freakin out cuz all the sudden (when it started being colder actually now that i think about it) i couldnt corner as hard as usual and i thought somehow i was just forgetting how to ride or that my bike was falling apart in weird ways

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
also... i would've started a new thread for this but i've started too many lately... where can i get one of those r6-forum socks for the brake resevoir?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts