Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I generally buy and sometime sell on the ebay platform. As a buyer I'm usually used to paying the price that's set and ok with it. I started noticing in 2019 that they started adding taxes on the buyers total invoice. No big deal since uncle Sam gotta get paid, right? Well today i sold something and they charged me tax as well. So how does that work? You're getting the tax from the buyer and seller on the same product. Then they charge you an ebay fee then a paypal fee, which is the same company. Then at the end of the month, you're sent another invoice to pay for the transactions for the month as a seller. I used to love ebay but I'm really feeling that the greed is now on an all new level with this company. I hate to not use a company I used to love but with their prices, these days I try to sell on the forums and craigslist where as people we can come to a fair price agreement. Now we just have to find another way to avoid these outrageous shipping prices...

·
Fat + S = Fast
1,234 Posts
Ebay was also a lot better when it was mostly private individuals, now it's mostly businesses selling Chinese trash. Unfortunately it's the only nationwide platform of its type that anyone uses, Craigslist ropes you into a region and I barely have time to participate here much less build a post.count to sell Honda, Kawai, and Suzi parts elsewhere. We're stuck on the slippery slope the internet and the whole world is sliding down into a river of shit and that's all there is to it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it definitely feels like we are stuck in a slippery slope. I just don't understand how the middle class is suppose to live when all we are seeing is an injustice of price gouging that is coming for us in all directions. I think this post I started was just the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

·
Fat + S = Fast
1,234 Posts
I've had some luck with the OfferUp app, but it's very hit and miss. When it hits though, it's nice; they take a flat amount off the top and provide shipping labels. They also handle the payments so no Paypal skimming another few percent. But getting stuff to actually sell on there is something I haven't figured out yet.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
133 Posts
Buy something new sales tax. Sell it and both people charged tax again? Sorry Jack you already taxed it.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Re Seller Side:
They've been triple dipping forever. You'll have to markup whatever you want to sell by several times minimum in order to make it worth the time and effort. So something should've sold for $20 is now $80 or $90 + tax + shipping. That's the only way it's worth it. Basically the system has been designed around high volume sellers, not the standard Joe Blow and Susie Que looking to sell off something they no longer need, but would be useful and valuable to someone else. Making it a full time job is the only way you can make any real money.

Re Buyer Side:
Over 1.5 decades of online purchasing has provided me with a solid sense of what you can/can't buy online. So with only a couple of exceptions, I've had pretty good luck with 'zon. Certain electronics, mechanical parts, and all larger batteries are high risk purchases. (meaning, don't bother regardless of price/seller) FleaBay started it all. Many of the same sellers from FleaBay duplicated shop on 'zon. Almost invariably FleaBay sellers are looking to pawn off used/returned/factory-reject/new junk as "tested" and "genuine" or/and with "lifetime" warranties. Both FleaBay and 'zon play games with feedback, so I learned via experiences not to leave any. The advantage that 'zon seems to have, the sellers are far less likely to get away with playing games with the RMA and warranty processes. Trying to get FleaBay sellers to pay for return shipping and not take three to six weeks to send a warrantied item back, gradually became the rule rather than the exception. Return rates gradually increased to the point of nearly 90%. I eventually labeled myself "an unpaid product tester" and quit FleaBay. FleaBay wasn't always like that. I started with them early in their existence, and for the first so many years it was great. It was a gradual progression into what it is now. The sellers buy 10,000 or 100,000 widgets at a STEEP volume discount. Initially the sellers were taking the time to test and weed out bad product. Eventually the sellers started to figure out that it was far more beneficial to have their customers do their testing for them. Many customers will pay for return ship themselves, or forgo attempting to return the bad product at all. MUCH cheaper than paying an employee full time to unpackage, test, repackage items before ship.

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
133 Posts
2001 ebay is rolling in its grave.

·
Fat + S = Fast
1,234 Posts
And what Intuit said is exactly the whole issue; eBay has designed itself around high volume sellers. FleaBay sounds derogatory, but back in 2000 when it really was an online flea market/garage sale was when it was at its most interesting and useful. The hole their (de)evolution left has never been filled, and I doubt it can be filled in the current climate of the internet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts