Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the other day i missed 2nd so i shifted back to first while i was still moving. it sounded like the tranny was gonna rip apart. mybe not that bad but a loud klunk. how bad is that?

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
how fast were you going when you shifted back into first?

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
i did this the other day... only i was deep in a turn getting on the throttle pretty good, and instead of going to second, i made it to neutral. and instead of going back down and losing a LOT of speed, i just banged it into second. same sound you're talking about. i'm not worried about it just yet. although, yamaha's trannies aren't known for being real tough. blew out a second on my last yzf. if it starts happening alot, then get worried. otherwise, just be careful, you're bike is still fine.

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
They do that. It will feel like it slammed in there. I wouldn't worry about it much unless you are hear a lot of noice coming out of her.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Yah, mine does that if I try shifting from neutral to first when going over 15 mph, also when shifting to 2nd when going about 30 or faster. I try to avoid that. It can't be good for the bike.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i was told on another site that its really not good to do this, they said you should never go up or down a gear from neutral while moving! i used to do it like coming home, i'd just let coast in Neutral to make a quiet entry down my block then would shift into either 1st or 2nd and would always make that noise, obviously doesn't sound good, so would make sense that its not good for our bikes!

·
Registered
212 Posts
My bike always clunks when going into first from nuetral even when I first put it into gear to take off? It also clunks shifting into second hell my bike just always clunks but it has done it since I got it in 04 with 4,000 miles it's an 03 it has around 11,500 miles now.. I fig this was normal for the yamaha?

·
Laugh. Love. Learn. Live.
657 Posts
at very low speeds (maybe 10mph or less) I can't imagine how this can be bad for the tranny. it klunks even when clicking into first after waiting at a light in N. Any higher speeds, though, and I'd probably try to avoid it, although you probably shouldn't be going much faster than 10mph in N anyway... ever.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yeah when you accidently shift into neutral, i know its hard to realize when it happens with out releasing the clutch and it free revving but if you do notice you shifted to neutral don't let the clutch re-engage in neutral and you wont hear the grind/clank. So pretty much; Clutch-shift into neutral- if you notice it shift into 2nd without releasing clutch and no grinding just normal gear change sounds.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Just bump the throttle to get the rpms up where you think first gear would be at. And then it'll go down nicely...

·
12,482 Posts
Just bump the throttle to get the rpms up where you think first gear would be at. And then it'll go down nicely...
+1. I've been able to avoid the CLUNK a couple times by doing this... doesn't work every time tho... maybe I'm just not doing it consistently...

·
Registered
733 Posts
+1. I've been able to avoid the CLUNK a couple times by doing this... doesn't work every time tho... maybe I'm just not doing it consistently...
Try to match the RPM's better..it'll go down smoothly..i've done it downshifting at 50mph it just falls right down.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You do understand they arent talking about simply downshifting, they are talking about clunks and grinds that you get when shifting out of neutral.

·
Registered
733 Posts
You do understand they arent talking about simply downshifting, they are talking about clunks and grinds that you get when shifting out of neutral.
Yes I do understand...this is why when downshifting at high speeds it'll almost never go back into first until you slow down. It'll sh!t p!ss and fart all over you.

My understandings...

There is always friction in the transmission/gearbox even when the clutch is engaged. Which is why when you prop the rear wheel it'll spin even when in neutral. Keep this in mind...friction!

When downshifting to first, you'll definitely want to give the engine a little more throttle try and match the engines RPM's with the speed of the wheels. This will alleviate any additional friction when setting the bike in first gear. Remember we don't have syncro's in our gearboxes to help do this for us.

Think of it this way, you know that from first to second there's about a 3-4k rpm drop (I'd need to check this but use it as a guideline). So in second your at around 5k rpms and you want to downshift to first. Pull the clutch in, rev the bike till about 7-8k rpms and then drop it in first.

Please scold me on my technical knowledge, i'm not a tranny junky by any means. But this is my understanding. You just need to alleviate friction by matching your engine rpms to your tranny rpms.

I can make a really nice diagram if you want explaining in detail what happens. Or you can read http://howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm. It'll go over the dog teeth and how all the gears are consecutively spinning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts