Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
2B R <> 2B
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody put some Octane Boost in fuel?

I wonder what would happen..

Cars and bikes use the same fuel so I cant see any negative affects.....

·
I whore my R6
1,874 Posts
for the record: although most all of us run premium, our bikes are designed to run perfectly fine on regular fuel...........that is all

·
Moderatore Eccellente!
8,634 Posts
Don't waste your money. Go spend it on a pack of mercury filled fluorescent light bulbs and help save the planet.

·
2B R <> 2B
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am about to run regular because this high gas is killing me... Was thinking about adding some of the 101 Octane Boost to give it alittle kick..

It shouldnt do anything to my engine right?

Somebody say something on this - Times are getting hard out here

·
Moderatore Eccellente!
8,634 Posts
You have an 01 as do I. I run 87 octane for regular highway riding all the time with no issues. There are a lot of things that will effect the way your bike will run on lower octane fuel, like how you ride, ambient temp, engine temp. If your using your bike as a mode of transportation you should be able to use 87 w/o additives. If your hitting the track on a hot summer day, I would use 93. But either way, using octane boost in 87 octane fuel seems to be contrary to what your trying to do which is save money. Unless you have cases of free octane boost laying around, that is.

·
2B R <> 2B
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have an 01 as do I. I run 87 octane for regular highway riding all the time with no issues. There are a lot of things that will effect the way your bike will run on lower octane fuel, like how you ride, ambient temp, engine temp. If your using your bike as a mode of transportation you should be able to use 87 w/o additives. If your hitting the track on a hot summer day, I would use 93. But either way, using octane boost in 87 octane fuel seems to be contrary to what your trying to do which is save money. Unless you have cases of free octane boost laying around, that is.
I have been running 93 for so long and now 87... Was just wondering what the bike might do... I think I am going to try it but not putting the entire octange boost but just alittle @ a time....

·
Registered
3 Posts
In general, octane is the gas' resistance to detonation. Higher octane = higher compression before detonation, etc.

For the most power you want to run the lowest octane you can w/o pre-detonation.

Unless you are boosting, running crazy compression, or doing something equally funky octane booster won't do a darn thing for ya.

·
2B R <> 2B
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In general, octane is the gas' resistance to detonation. Higher octane = higher compression before detonation, etc.

For the most power you want to run the lowest octane you can w/o pre-detonation.

Unless you are boosting, running crazy compression, or doing something equally funky octane booster won't do a darn thing for ya.
We have had this discussion serveral times but I personal can tell the difference when running lov octane vers high octane...

Also I can tell the difference in the gas stations - Shell has the best gas for my bike and that I know for a fact...

·
Moderatore Eccellente!
8,634 Posts

Yeah, we know that. He isn't looking for power, and there are many more variables involved than just compression. He just want to run the cheapest gas possible without hurting his bike.

Like I said before, you have a 01. 87 octane + commuter driving = :). 87 octane + track riding + high engine temps = :(

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
u are best running the octane the manufacturer recommends, unless u have added higher compression pistons, or a thinner head gasket.
at least u dont have to put premium in your ride, many bikes and cars require it, my bike included.
im glad the ol chevy pickup truck still runs on the cheap stuff....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, we know that. He isn't looking for power, and there are many more variables involved than just compression. He just want to run the cheapest gas possible without hurting his bike.

Like I said before, you have a 01. 87 octane + commuter driving = :). 87 octane + track riding + high engine temps = :(
I suppose I phrased my reply poorly - my intent was that as long as you aren't getting any knock, run 87 octane till the cows come home :]

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
holy god....you guys with the 93 octane are so lucky!
i feel that living in california we got piss poor gas here...91 octane at the highest.
except for race fuel at 116 octane(only at the track).

·
Now you see me...
1,275 Posts
i dumped a half bottle of octane booster in my bike to see what would happen. don't do it. my bike got so gutless i could barely pass a truck going up a slight incline on the highway. The ECU eventually figured it out an the power came back after about another 5 min of riding, but it's a waste of money pure and simple. just go with what the manufacturer reccomends, i guess you could go lower in octane to save money but i'm not brave enough to put cheap gas in my new bike.

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
maybe its all in my head.....?..?.....

i got a bunch of little things done to my bike (05 R6), and a custom map on my PCIII. i am also very heavy on the throttle. i always use 93, a while back i was in the middle of no where and needed gas. all they had was 87, so i filled up and i swear the bike ran totaly different (did not run as well at all)!!!! i wasent just cruisen (we were really pushing em), it was hot and we were riding for a while. i went and added booster and after a few miles it seemed to almost go back to normal. i have not used anything but premium since then.

was i just over analyzing and thinking about the fact that i never used this low of fuel before........ idk but it didn't run right at all, lagging and very unresponsive!!!!! :screwy

·
Now you see me...
1,275 Posts
yeah, you have to ride long enough for the ECU to figure it out, but idk how the pc3 works in that situation, if it shuts off the ecu's adjustments?

·
2B R <> 2B
3,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have old Carb bike so we are different...

Still going to try it and let you know what happens.

Putting 101 octane boost in the bike - Ya

Hope it doesnt catch fire or anything

·
This is not my ass
1,355 Posts
Personally I'll spend the extra 60-80 cents for higher octane fuel. Less contaminants, less crap in the engine. $14-15 per tank

·
I ride bitches year round
1,834 Posts
Prices used from where I live...Values calculated based on the entire 2003 R6 fuel tank capacity.

Cost of octane boost: $3-5
Cost of Regular: 3.79 / Gal
Cost of Premium: 3.99 / Gal

Tank holds 4.5 Gal
Cost to fill with Reg: 17.055
Cost to fill with Prem: 17.95
Regular saves you: .90 cents

Add octane booster for 3.00

After its all said and done the Reg + Octane booster route costs you more depending on which octane booster you use and on top of that you still aren't sure if it is doing damage to the engine.

I would just pay the extra 90 cents and fill up with premium.

·
Moderatore Eccellente!
8,634 Posts
maybe its all in my head.....?..?.....
Maybe, but maybe not. Heat will effect the how the bike will run on certain octane fuel.

I have old Carb bike so we are different...

Still going to try it and let you know what happens.

Putting 101 octane boost in the bike - Ya

Hope it doesnt catch fire or anything
I still am at a loss. Why are you putting the octane boost in.

You say your trying to save some money by putting lower octane fuel in, but yet your going to dump the difference in using octane boost. Why not just run the 87 first and keep the octane boost with you just in case.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts