Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
That looks cool... I might do that. It's not that much $ for a little assurance...

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
pointless since they don't test the oil new to see what's in it from the beginning.
.. it will still tell you the viscosity at temp.. that tells you a lot.

if the oil is past its prime, its viscosity wont be what you want, thus making it bad oil right.?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
pointless since they don't test the oil new to see what's in it from the beginning.
I'm sure they've done benchmarks on every oil that's out there..

I think I'm going to send samples of both my bike and my dad's bike and from my car as well. For curiosity's sake.. And I bet you get more information than just viscosity @ temp. But we'll see..

·
Canyon Carving
458 Posts
not to threadjack because this does look like a good idea, but when i replace my oil for the start of riding season what do you guys use? semi synthetic amsoil? or full synthetic? or other?

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
.. it will still tell you the viscosity at temp.. that tells you a lot.

if the oil is past its prime, its viscosity wont be what you want, thus making it bad oil right.?
a good synthetic oil should last anyone all season of riding anyway.
if you don't at least change it once a year, you're super fing cheap and lazy. lol

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Personally, my oil doesn't stay in the bike long enough to break down so it sounds like a waste to me... Just use a quality oil and maintain your bike...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Personally, my oil doesn't stay in the bike long enough to break down so it sounds like a waste to me... Just use a quality oil and maintain your bike...
I agree with you here. I don't this this would actually benefit us for the most part. But for curiosity's sake, I'd like to see what our motors can do to oil.. as well as what a v-twin (my dad's bike), a V8, and a 5cyl turbo can do to their oil, compared to eachother.. Like I said, it's a curiosity thing!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Did this on my Diesel about 4 years ago. Showed an abnormal amount of fuel in the oil. I had a leaky injector with no other symptoms. It'd definately be cool to see how a specific oil is holding up at say, 1k mile increments.

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
:secret That's why you send a sample of the new oil in a bottle also.

Oil analysis is very beneficial to telling you what is going on with the life blood of your engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts