Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
My R6 and I eat together
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not really a disaster, at least I hope its not... I went to change my oil and right off the bat the fairings were being extremely obnoxious (07 r6). So i just decided to take the whole left side off to make my life easier. I go to unscrew the drain plug and realize my walmart tool kit only goes up to 15mm. 30 min later i find a neighbor that lets me borrow their 17mm socket. I undo the plug and go for the filter, moving the shift rod out of the way, and i realize that for some magical reason none of the sockets fit and i dont have pliers to just muscle it off. at this point im just tired of everything, its finals week for me so my fuse is short, and i just decide to fill up with new oil. surprise! my funnel wouldn't sit upright so I had to take more fairings off to make it vertical. i pour in the oil, put the right fairings back on, then try and do the left. I guess i mixed up the screws and forgot where they all go so i just threw them on to where they fit. I have one left over from the side that wouldnt fit so im missing one. i also screwed up the shift rod so the foot lever sits a little too high now.

i just needed to vent. my question is what should I do now with the oil filter? I wanna change it but does that mean i'll need to do a completely new oil change? can I just get away with changing the filter on its own? I also have a 520 kit I need to put on but I think im just gonna take it in to a shop. seeing how i dont have tools to even do an oil change I dont think i shud even attempt this. I just wanna get an idea of whats gonna happen so the shop doesnt try and scam me. I figure when they go to do the chain they can just adjust the shift rod and change the filter. If theyre nice enough hopefully they'll find a screw to fit my fairing too.

·
Speedy Claxton
1,767 Posts
yeah youd have to change out the oil to change the filter. and a 520 conversion isnt too hard. take off the rear wheel, change out front sprocket, change out rear sprocket, put chain/wheel back on. a shop would probably charge 100 bucks or more.. save the money and do it on ur own. you will need some bigger sockets for the rear axle and front sprocket nut. theres a real good how-to on here for it.

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
The Yamaha tool kit + a decent ratchet set will take care of all the basic and even more complex maintenance.. Go out and get a good set of sockets.

·
My R6 eat tires for lunch
857 Posts
It's not really a disaster, at least I hope its not... I went to change my oil and right off the bat the fairings were being extremely obnoxious (07 r6). So i just decided to take the whole left side off to make my life easier. I go to unscrew the drain plug and realize my walmart tool kit only goes up to 15mm. 30 min later i find a neighbor that lets me borrow their 17mm socket. I undo the plug and go for the filter, moving the shift rod out of the way, and i realize that for some magical reason none of the sockets fit and i dont have pliers to just muscle it off. at this point im just tired of everything, its finals week for me so my fuse is short, and i just decide to fill up with new oil. surprise! my funnel wouldn't sit upright so I had to take more fairings off to make it vertical. i pour in the oil, put the right fairings back on, then try and do the left. I guess i mixed up the screws and forgot where they all go so i just threw them on to where they fit. I have one left over from the side that wouldnt fit so im missing one. i also screwed up the shift rod so the foot lever sits a little too high now.

i just needed to vent. my question is what should I do now with the oil filter? I wanna change it but does that mean i'll need to do a completely new oil change? can I just get away with changing the filter on its own? I also have a 520 kit I need to put on but I think im just gonna take it in to a shop. seeing how i dont have tools to even do an oil change I dont think i shud even attempt this. I just wanna get an idea of whats gonna happen so the shop doesnt try and scam me. I figure when they go to do the chain they can just adjust the shift rod and change the filter. If theyre nice enough hopefully they'll find a screw to fit my fairing too.
lol.

·
R64LIFE
283 Posts
Dude if ya couldnt even add the oil without taking off fairings then jesus dont touch the chain!:eek5

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
I just finished my chain, used my friends chain breaker tool. You will need a dremel too, to grind off the rivet.

·
My R6 and I eat together
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My tools are very limited and im a broke @$$ college student. just so you guys can laugh at me all i have is my walmart set i got for $15 and a rear tire stand. I dont even have a hammer in my kit lol. in my defense with said tools i managed to install my HIDs. only took 5 hours? drilling the holes for the wires required super mcgyver skills on my part. im thinking i can get away with fixing up my bike as a christmas gift so id rather just take it to a shop than get a legit tool kit. Its my senior year so i just wanna finish up school and then deal with life. i'm not gonna touch the bike until finals are over this week.

prob gonna go with the shop and suck it up. I know theres no way I can do the chain by myself just goin off my track record lol. on a lighter note im really excited to see the diff with the -1/+2 :) merry christmas to me!

·
My R6 and I eat together
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i just realized i never learned the damage that could be caused by changing the oil but not the filter. no problem or big problem?

·
faster than a turtle XP
1,760 Posts
damn bro seems like those final are kickn your ass lol! i just finished mine at Cypress. Where in socal are you from? im in the 562 so id be more than happy to do this as a side job you buy the chain breaker and riveter and ill do it but keep the tool lol cheaper than the stealership. as far as the oil you can drain it change the filter and then pour the oil back in no problem there and remember to get a fresh crush nut for your oil plug. and the shift rod just loosen it at the top pull it off and readjust.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Why would you need to change the oil after changing the filter? All you should have to do is add oil after doing only the filter. The filter is in a tough to get to spot. It's VERY easy to not tighten enough, and it's also difficult to remove without a specific oil filter wrench.

And you can change oil and not the filter. People do it all the time for various reasons.

And don't feel bad bro.. I have a whole bunch of tools, and my dad lives 1 mile from me. We've got a car lift in his garage, etc.. So, you can have all the tools in the world, but still can screw up an oil change.. Last time I did mine, I forgot to put the drain plug back in before I added more oil.. $24 worth of oil right into the pan with the dirty oil I drained out..

Bring the bike to a shop. Get your finals done. Graduate college and prep for success. LOL

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
Sounds like you just need some new tools. It's really not hard if you are working with the right equipment.

The 520 conversion isn't hard either, but I would suggest you take it to someone to do it for you, because you don't have the correct tools. You're gonna need a 17mm socket, 32mm socket and a 30mm socket for that. Not to mention a torque wrench, chain breaker and rivet tool. Plus miscellaneous hex wrenches and a 10mm wrench to take off the shift linkage.

Not trying to bash you or anything but, if you can't afford the right tools, how can you afford to take it to someone to do it??
Bring it up to NorCal, I'll do it for a 6 pack. :fact

·
My R6 and I eat together
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i go to pepperdine so i live near malibu. i figure instead of asking for the hundreds of tools i need im gonna see if my parents will just pay for cost of having the work done on my bike as my christmas gift. i dont really plan on doing anything else to the bike after the chain anyway. i have everything i want on it. a full system and pc wouldnt be worth it cause all i do is ride street. i'll just need an effing wrench so i can get the filter off next time

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
i go to pepperdine so i live near malibu. i figure instead of asking for the hundreds of tools i need im gonna see if my parents will just pay for cost of having the work done on my bike as my christmas gift. i dont really plan on doing anything else to the bike after the chain anyway. i have everything i want on it. a full system and pc wouldnt be worth it cause all i do is ride street. i'll just need an effing wrench so i can get the filter off next time
man you sound like youve got some common sense, so i would say you should replace the chain yourself and use christmas for other goodies for your baby.

I say this because you seem like you would like to be more in tune with your motor and honestly changing the chain and both sprockets is very simple if you are patient. IMHO its just not worth paying someone to do it...

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
i just change my oil this weekend it after doing it so many times it'll become second nature for you.

here are some tips i found helpful for myself.
- cut a piece of cardboard and slide it between the oil cap and oil filter to create a tight snug fit loosen up the filter.
- buy the FRAM oil filter, it's slightly longer and has a better end to help the oil cap to fit snug on it.
-before removing the shift leaver, use a marker to mark where to two piece lines up so you don't need to guess when putting it back on.

-make sure you have the right tools before getting started. that's a plus ;) just like the movie Grand Torino, tools are acquired slowly over a course of time and not something you buy all at once. so you can buy it slowly and eventually you'll have a kick ass tool chest.

ok, hope things goes much smoother next time you change your oil.

·
143 Posts
i just change my oil this weekend it after doing it so many times it'll become second nature for you.

Here are some tips i found helpful for myself.
- cut a piece of cardboard and slide it between the oil cap and oil filter to create a tight snug fit loosen up the filter.
- buy the fram oil filter, it's slightly longer and has a better end to help the oil cap to fit snug on it.
-before removing the shift leaver, use a marker to mark where to two piece lines up so you don't need to guess when putting it back on.

-make sure you have the right tools before getting started. That's a plus ;) just like the movie grand torino, tools are acquired slowly over a course of time and not something you buy all at once. So you can buy it slowly and eventually you'll have a kick ass tool chest.

Ok, hope things goes much smoother next time you change your oil.
+ 1

·
My R6 eat tires for lunch
857 Posts
my last oil change i had to use the old screwdriver though the filter trick... and hand tighten the new one on. it worked. If theres a will theres a way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts