Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the difference in the Euro R6 and US R6 that the Euro version can run 2000 more miles between oil changes? I have my US manual showing every 4000 miles and a Euro manual showing every 6000 miles. And no, I'm not confusing km with mi. I can get screen shots later.

Just curious as to how there can be a 2000 mile service interval difference between two bikes that should be similar if not the same.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
That's odd, Engines are the same. Maybe different standards for measuring oil breakdown.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's very odd. Maybe emissions issues? I know a marginal car with a fresh oil change has a better chance at passing a smog test with lower emissions than taking the same car in with dirty oil. Maybe they figure lowering the miles between oil changes will reduce air pollution...

Just find it very curious that the Euro service intervals are spaced that far apart compared to US. It's actually all their service intervals that are spaced every 6000 miles compared to our 4000.

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
It's very odd. Maybe emissions issues? I know a marginal car with a fresh oil change has a better chance at passing a smog test with lower emissions than taking the same car in with dirty oil. Maybe they figure lowering the miles between oil changes will reduce air pollution...

Just find it very curious that the Euro service intervals are spaced that far apart compared to US. It's actually all their service intervals that are spaced every 6000 miles compared to our 4000.
Are you sure that isn't KMs? Most of Europe as well as Canada is metric, and 4000 miles is about 6400 kilometers. Usually in service manuals and owners manuals they just use 4000 miles and 6000 kms because the round numbers are nicer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm sure. It says 10,000 km/6,000 mi in the Euro handbook. Screen shot of it for the people doubting my literacy skills. Their service intervals are 6,000 mi apart.

Euro handbook:

US handbook:

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Fair enough. I had to ask the obvious :)

Very strange. Almost seems like someone messed up the math when the were creating that book. 10,000km between engine oil changes can't be right.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fair enough. I had to ask the obvious :)

Very strange. Almost seems like someone messed up the math when the were creating that book. 10,000km between engine oil changes can't be right.
While it doesn't seem right, I have to think about my 2004 VW GTI VR6 with an oil change interval of every 10,000 mi recommended by VW. If they were recommending that on a 2004 2.8l 6 cylinder engine, why not 6,000 mi on a 2014 600cc 4 cylinder? The big thing is that's 6,000 mi across the board, not just for one particular maintenance item.

Maybe us Americans are harder on our bikes needing service more often? Maybe US dealers insisted on lower service intervals to increase their revenue? I don't know the real answer, I just found it very odd when going through both manuals that there would be such a large difference, basically 50% more mileage between service intervals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts