Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 3k on my bike and want to know if i should run semi or just straight synthetic. i'm not sure what weight i need, and if there is a better filter than others.

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
There will be 100 different opinions on this, none more right than the next, so I'll tell what I did. I went to synthetic after 1500 (my second oil change). I also use Mobil 1 Red Cap and Wix filters. Just my opinion, but I would never use the Yamaha Filters, I've seen the inside of them and they look almost identical to the Fram (junk) and for some reason they are like $12.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Check out the HOW TO Section (top sticky) :drink .... Great advice and links to motor oil and filter choices... Good luck

·
Registered
311 Posts
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html that link has a list of all the filters you can use for the r6... I run 15w50 mobil 1 red cap and a puralator premium L14620 (discontinued, replacement: L14610) filter... if I were you I would run the Pure one Puralator PL14612 (shorter and Pure one's top filter) and mobil 15w50... reason I say use the shorter one is because my filter is too long to get the last screw on the radiator reservoir cover back on, lol...

Oh and I bought this filter wrench http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4528743419&category=43998 it tightens as you unscrew which will guarantee the filter to come off! Also can use it to tighten because it tightens when you screw it on as well (hard to explain).. Pretty good price too, it was especially nice cause it came with a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer for my big torque wrench :mrgreen:

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
ptirmal said:
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html that link has a list of all the filters you can use for the r6... I run 15w50 mobil 1 red cap and a puralator premium L14620 (discontinued, replacement: L14610) filter... if I were you I would run the Pure one Puralator PL14612 (shorter and Pure one's top filter) and mobil 15w50... reason I say use the shorter one is because my filter is too long to get the last screw on the radiator reservoir cover back on, lol...

Oh and I bought this filter wrench http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4528743419&category=43998 it tightens as you unscrew which will guarantee the filter to come off! Also can use it to tighten because it tightens when you screw it on as well (hard to explain).. Pretty good price too, it was especially nice cause it came with a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer for my big torque wrench :mrgreen:

Those are 2 great links.
1. I love that filter wrench.. the design look like it would work so much better then the band style.
2. I would love to stop paying $12 per filter....

·
Registered
311 Posts
drhodes said:
ptirmal said:

Those are 2 great links.
1. I love that filter wrench.. the design look like it would work so much better then the band style.
2. I would love to stop paying $12 per filter....
Yea it really works well, it took me a minute to get the yamaha filter off and it was on tight as shitttt... the one you buy off ebay accepts a 3/8" drive and a 1/2" drive (because of the reducer) and also accepts a hex socket (not sure what size) so you can still use whatever ratchet you are using to remove the drain bolt. Then when you put it back on you can use it to get it on tight (not supper tight, well if you want i guess you could, lol). I had an oil filter from my car (mx6) laying around so I used that one, but I wouldn't spend 12 bucks on a K&N one! Save the money and buy a Pure One Purolator, after 2 oil changes it paid for itself and you have the best filtration!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I bought a filter wrench from autozone and it only loosen the filter. So everytime i change the oil on the R6 i have to use my hands. Which i don't even think its on tight enough. LOL, OH well haven't had a problem with it yet. Might have to go out and purchase a 2way filter wrench...

Another question i was reading something in the manual. It mention to replace the gasket for the drain plug. IS that just the washer inbetween the plug and the pan?

·
Registered
311 Posts
MadChild said:
I bought a filter wrench from autozone and it only loosen the filter. So everytime i change the oil on the R6 i have to use my hands. Which i don't even think its on tight enough. LOL, OH well haven't had a problem with it yet. Might have to go out and purchase a 2way filter wrench...

Another question i was reading something in the manual. It mention to replace the gasket for the drain plug. IS that just the washer inbetween the plug and the pan?
yea just the washer... its so you dont strip the oil pan, I dont use it although if ya find out which one to use lemme know, I dont know the inner diameter, lol... also if ya have a torque wrench you have it back to factory spec which isnt that tight and there is no worry of stripping it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts