Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did an oil change yesterday. Didn't replace the crusher washer.

I tightened the oil drain bolt pretty darn tight to make sure it wouldnt leak. I went for a ride yesterday and once I got home, the oil drain bolt was leaking slightly.

at this point should i try to tighten it more? I'm afraid I might crack the pan.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
don't over tighten it or you WILL crack the pan. I think Krom encountered that sitauation one time. Wasn't good. Get a nice clean drain pain (preferably one with a spout), drain it and put a new crush washer on and refill it.

·
looking for more curves
1,881 Posts
penfold said:
don't over tighten it or you WILL crack the pan. I think Krom encountered that sitauation one time. Wasn't good. Get a nice clean drain pain (preferably one with a spout), drain it and put a new crush washer on and refill it.
... refill it with the oil that you just took out... notice the word CLEAN drain pan.... and it might be a good idea to use a paint strainer to pour the oil back in through just incase there is something rather large going in.

·
Bacon is extra!
494 Posts
penfold said:
Yeah, don't overtighten it.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,812 Posts
krom said:
Yeah, don't overtighten it.

ya i remember seeing this a while back i was just amazed at how poor the quality of the casting on that oil pan.

if you could buy the crush washer before doing anything and are quick with your hands try this method or better yet have a helper give you a hand.
when the engine is nice and cool. place a drain pan under the pan. get your wrench and your crush washer within an arms reach. remove the drain plug and plug the hole with your finger. remove the old washer and take a rag and wipe it the drain bolt clean. now if you have a helper put on the new crush washer. if no helper around, then try doing all this with one hand. now be ready to move your finger away from the drain hole and with the other hand place the drain plug in the pan. be quick so you dont lose to much oil. i for one dont like the idea of reusing oil that was drained into a pan, not even a clean one. you will probably lose about half a quart of oil, depending on how quick you are.

·
Registered
784 Posts
they're cheap, under $1 a piece (canadian)

Damn thing is, I did my first oil change as well...... after the first service, and they had the drain bolt on so bloody tight.... that the previous crush washer was flattened pretty good... almost broke my finger and nail trying to get it off (didn't wanna use a knife inbetween incase I gashed the drain bolt threading)

So I look at the fresh crush washer, and its got a lip on ONE side.... and sorta flat on the other... and no where in the manual or service manual does it say which way the lip should go, against the pan, or against the inside of the drain bolt... so I guess.. and gave it a medium tightness til it pinched.....

Guess I'll find out how good she holds oil in the spring

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,812 Posts
Drooder said:
and gave it a medium tightness til it pinched.....
for some odd reason i was curious to see the torque spec for the '03+, its 31 ft/lbs. i never did use a torque wrench on a drain plug. i always use german specs, ghoodan tite, it always works for me.

·
looking for more curves
1,881 Posts
yeah re-using oil is not a good thing, but soemtimes it can be done... I'd end up changing it soon afterwards anyway.

Also, if your going to do the ole switcherooo you could always buy another drain pulg and just slip the new plug and washer on at once and be set.... just another idea, even if it greatly increases the $ needed to do so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.