Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So I started to do the first service to my bike yesterday, went to remove the oil drain plug and I couldn't get that f*%&er off! It is on there so tight and I put so much force on the socket that it put 3 cracks in the socket rendering it useless. The plug is now pretty stripped, I even sprayed it with some wd-40 and let that soak in a bit before trying to remove it. I have never seen anything on so tight in my life. Does anyone know how I can get this thing off? I'd hate to have to bring it to a dealer. I'm really kinda pissed and can't believe that this plug could actually be on so tight that it would break a socket - Never seen anything like it.

·
Moderatore Eccellente!
8,634 Posts
What I do when thing are that tight is use lube...... Opps wrong subject....

Really though, try this. Grab the right size wrench and hold it on the plug, and tap the wrench in the proper direction with a hammer. You shouldn't have to hit it had. I had to do it to mine just last week. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Was it warm first? Mine and my friends first oil change were a b*@$h because the plugs wouldn't crack loose. We both got them by taking our time and tapping the wrench with a hammer the same way an impact gun works. You're not taking wild swings at it but even pressured taps. Both his and mine were warm when we did it and eventually it did break free. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
well i know when i first had to do it, i took the ratchet, slipped a bar over it to give myself more leverage, then i layed down on my left side, braced my right foot against the rear wheel, and finally broke it free

·
Now you see me...
1,275 Posts
i'm lazy, i sprayed the bolt with "gum remover" which just freezes it, and it came right out no problem what so ever. work smarter not harder. if you don't want to buy a can of freezing agent, just hold two ice cubes on and around the bolt.

doing this prevents stripping and makes the metal contract just enough to break the bolt free.

·
Registered
96 Posts
if i run into problems like this i go through my checklist

1. Stop
2. Stare at it
3. Grab a beer
4. Make sure I'm turning it the correct direction
5. Make sure no one saw me turning it the wrong way:dunce:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if i run into problems like this i go through my checklist

1. Stop
2. Stare at it
3. Grab a beer
4. Make sure I'm turning it the correct direction
5. Make sure no one saw me turning it the wrong way:dunce:

Yup, did that too, was going the right way...

·
Now you see me...
1,275 Posts

·
Now you see me...
1,275 Posts
hahaha icepic recommended using ice. Anyone else find that ironic?
lol, hell i didn't even think about that hahaha :lmao

btw you can use that stuff for all kinds of stuff, cleaning, hornet nests or freezing any insect solid for that matter, spray your girlfriends chest to make her nipples hard ect. fun stuff

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 1/2 meter long ratchet.. and it always does the job.. opens up most of the bolt with little force.. I know 1/2 meter long ratchet is over doing it but it makes my life much easier...

·
Now you see me...
1,275 Posts
yeah you can use a cheater bar, but you risk breaking the bolt or knocking the bike over.
an alternate method that works well is to loosen the oil bolt BEFORE you warm up the bike to drain it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
lol, hell i didn't even think about that hahaha :lmao

btw you can use that stuff for all kinds of stuff, cleaning, hornet nests or freezing any insect solid for that matter, spray your girlfriends chest to make her nipples hard ect. fun stuff
wow. the 'kinky factor' is really up there when theres a can of gum remover on the night stand

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just changed my oil a few hours ago... I had the same problem.. I just used warmed up the bike and used the tap method described in here.. After a few even taps it came right off no damage done.. Now the oil filter..well thats a different story.. Didn't have the filter socket and had to screw driver the bitch off.. Does any one know what size the filter cup socket is? way too cramped to get a belt around it...

·
What about what?
6,755 Posts
The little Japanese guy at the factory eats his Wheaties before putting the drain plug in. :fact

·
Now you see me...
1,275 Posts
The little Japanese guy at the factory eats his Wheaties before putting the drain plug in. :fact
you mean the little bastard with the impact wrench? :lmao

1 - 17 of 17 Posts