Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

complete newb question...... but IM changing the oil on my R6 and I'm not changing the oil filter..... so when I drain the oil out.... do I need to take off the oil filter before I fill it with new oil or just leave it on.... the main reason im not changing the oil filter is because I completely suck mechanically and the bike is now storaged and I need to change the oil but am scared of taking the kickstand shift rod bolt off.......

in other words... can i just change the oil on my bike and not take oil filter off ever???... and it will be fine right.... once the new season comes I will get the first service done where a new filter is put in after another 200 miles.

thanks a bunch guys.

J

·
Registered
35 Posts
No such thing as a dumb question. You will eventually need to change the filter but for now drain the oil and simply fill it up according to specs. Have the dealer change the filter when the season starts again. You should really change both each time you "do the oil" but it is okay to skip it in this case since you're really not riding it right now anyway.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
also guys..... im trying to change the oil and the drain plug wont open... i guess im the first one opening the plug since it was put on from the factory????? what to do... or dont tell me im opening the wrong one.... im opening a silver color bolt right at the bottom ... i stole this pic from someone else.... im assuming im opening the right bolt right???

Im using a basic ratchet and 17mm socket.... any suggestions?

·
My R6 eats yours!!!
369 Posts
Turn to the left!!! :lmao Just Kidding ya. You might try to spray some wd-40 or a penitrating oil spray to losssen it up. They are put on by a air ratchet. Just try a little more elbow grease on it. Good luck

·
Vrooom on a Yamaha
358 Posts
be careful. I stripped my oil pan when I tried to loosen the plug the first time. Had to buy a new oil pan for $100. Just remember the bolt goes counter clockwise to loosen if you were looking at it. It is upside down so don't tighten it. The il pan is aluminum and will strip easily. They come super tight from the factory. Dealerships use air wrenches to get them loose. i'd take it to the dealer for the first change and save yourself some heartache by letting them do the initial breaking loose of the plug. If they strip it then they have to replace it. Since I did it I had to pay for it. I learned the hard way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I tried 2-3 times to open it with reasonable force.... did not budge....so I guess im gunna go pick up a torque wrench and try opening it tomorrow... if that doesn't work then I guess maybe use a breaker bar I suppose.... I don't think the drain pain should get stripped if you get a good grip on the bolt.... if too much force is needed to crank that thing off.... then I wont bother, cuz in that case It will probably strip the drain pan....so yah..... never thought an oil change would be so complicated.... and why did they have to put the oil filter behind the shift rod, lol.... so much harder to do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hector113 said:
After you use a breaker bar to get the bolt out dont forget to put on a new crush washer.

yup... already got one in hand!! thnx for the reminder anyways..... now hopefully tomorrow that damn bolt will come off!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hey guys Im happy to report that I have successfully done my first oil change!!!! Just another quick question though... when I got the drain pan bolt off there was no gasket/crush washel thing that came of.... but I put one on that the shop gave me..... I should be fine right.... I torqued the bolt on to about 35-38 lb..... should be okay right??? (kinda figured out later is says to do only to 31)

thanks for your help guys... it helps for the mechanically challenged, lol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
redwood650 said:
Here is the link anyway. Download the one for your bike. I wouldnt spend the money to have someone else work on your bike. It's pretty easy stuff for the most part.
http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39254

hey thanks man..... i have the manual that came with the bike.... and as i posted up..... i successfully did my first oil change!!!!

The only thing I think wrong was that I torqued the drain pan bolt on too much...... did it 38 lbs instead of the recommended 31, oh well.... will watch out for that next time around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts