Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
my technique when i used the screwdriver method was more along the lines of psycho. i just restabbed as necessary as my filter was on to tight from the stealership so it was a pain to get it started to come off. i don't think there is a right way or wrong way.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
penfold said:
my technique when i used the screwdriver method was more along the lines of psycho. i just restabbed as necessary as my filter was on to tight from the stealership so it was a pain to get it started to come off. i don't think there is a right way or wrong way.
Man, i cant tell you how many times i had to hack oil filters off that way.
last time i changed the oil on the 6 i ended up borrowing my buddy's RR
oil filter cap thingy, but he paid like $30 for it, next time, ill look up that
K&N one.

Manoah

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i wen to autozone and got an oil filter wrench thing that goes on the end of a socket and i swear my roomate and I both tried to get that damn thing off... and no luck. and it is dry so i dont want to fill it up with oil to drive it to the dealership for them to do it bc i would have to pay for oil and $40 for them to do it. ...ummm... bounce that.... :cuss:

well i guess i will just stab it from the side... and turn. and hope not to break anything. :cuss

·
IQ = Post Count
1,731 Posts
You can use a hose clamp and some sort of "L-shaped" metal (flat and bent 90 degrees, about 1/8" thickness, about 3/4" wide). Put the hose clamp on, insert your homemade "thingjogger" in there and tighten the hose clamp, then proceed to turn the thingjogger. Loosen hose clamp, reposition and repeat until loose. The screwdriver method works just as good, but just a little more messy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Redwolfrider,

I had to do this the other day myself---

Make sure to use a flathead screwdriver that is long enough to go thru both sides. Make sure you turn it so that the flat edge gives you leverage against the filter or you will shred it like an aluminum can.

I used a rubber mallet to drive it all the way thru...Get ready for a mess, even though the pan is empty the filter isnt!! it may take two holes if your turning range is limited by the surrounding bike parts.

good luck...

MDR :hammer

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
i have used this method and have had decent results

-put the screwdriver up to the filter and whack it hard enough to make a good dent
-get the flat end of screwdriver up into the dent at an angle and use a hammer to tap it until it turns
-if you need to, whack another dent in it and repeat until it spins feely.

doing it this way (without actually breaking the filter) gets the same results with far less mess.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,812 Posts
i never did try this back yard method. i guess i just dont like the mess it could make and/or damaging something else in the process. i bet a filter wrench for this size is less than $10. whats $10? its always nice to have the right tool to do the job.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
stoneloco808 said:
whats $10? its always nice to have the right tool to do the job.
Yea see i went to pep boys and tried to get the right tool... and that mofo is still not coming off... and yea sears in my area is sold out of every oil filter wrench :cuss: go figure...

Hammy_The_Can_Man said:
Watch your ass on that one! I've had some very close calls doing that.
I am skeptical about this "backyard method" i am scared of messing something up...So i might search a little longer before i decide to shove it through.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.