Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Changed the oil on my '01 today. Is there a special tool used to remove the oil filter? Is there a common trick to removing it without buying said tool? I was changing my oil today and someone suggested to me that I just remove it "by hand"...

:bsflag

That thing is packed waaaaay the hell back in there... no way to even get a hand around it. what do you use to get your oil filter off? I was at a loss today, so I just changed the oil and not the filter. It has only been 3 months/700 miles, so I'm not too concerned yet, but I'd like to be ready to change it out next time.

·
Registered
886 Posts
you can buy a a tool with a strap that is made especially for removing the oil filter for bikes that are like the one on the r6 i got one at the local bike shop for like under ten bucks ...

·
Registered
531 Posts
dave said:
you can buy a a tool with a strap that is made especially for removing the oil filter for bikes that are like the one on the r6 i got one at the local bike shop for like under ten bucks ...
Got the same type here. Mines got a rubber strap that goes around the filter. Works a treat.

·
Registered
886 Posts
yuppp beats sticking a screwdriver in oil filter and trying to turn it and get oil all over your shit .. this tool is very small and easy to use ..

·
My 6 makes me super horny
140 Posts
Or you can get the oil filter "socket" I got mine at a local Auto Zone for $3.75. Wal-Mart and other such places have them too. But be sure you take your new filter with you so you get the correct size. Another thing, I would suggest against the universal type. They're too bulky and normally only go one direction.

·
Registered
94 Posts
rydeyz said:
Or you can get the oil filter "socket" I got mine at a local Auto Zone for $3.75. Wal-Mart and other such places have them too. But be sure you take your new filter with you so you get the correct size. Another thing, I would suggest against the universal type. They're too bulky and normally only go one direction.

"socket"....yea thats what I meant not wrench haha... Rydeyz right the "socket" is the way to go those strap ones suck from my experience.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool, thanks guys. I'll probably get a socket when the time comes again for an oil change.

:cheers

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Mozzer said:
if you don't want to buy one you can always use the old trick of putting a screwdriver in it and take it off that way.
that's my tool of choice when it come to changin the oil...a good ole screw driver... :hammer :hammer

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just changed mine today for the first time ever (3000 miles, dealer did the 600 mile service). Anyway, I had to borrow a band type of wrench that tightened down on it...from here on out I am using a K&N which has a 17mm end on it for my wrench (which conveniently fits the drain plug too). The K&N costs me about $2 more and is a MUCH better filter than the stock yamaha ones. I also put in the Mobil 1 Red Cap 15w-50 and let me tell you, this synthetic stuff is AWESOME! I could tell INSTANTLY that it started and runs much smoother than before, and also it shifts smoother too.

My question to you is this...I thought it was 2.75 quarts for a drain and fill with filter...I checked the dipstick and I swear it is only 2/3 up the "full" mark...do I need to add more? :jump

·
Registered
28 Posts
turn the motor over a little and check it again.

also you can use the blue rubber covered gardening gloves for changing oil. i got my filter off with em and you dont want to have your filter too tight because before long you will be taking it off again and be in the same mess.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I tighten my oil filters by hand and only hand tight and they come off by hand as well. There is really no need to torque an oil filter down as it is not load bearing. I do the same in my truck and it has 109,000 miles on it and the bike has 14,500 miles and I have not had an issue from either.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It has been a few years since I brouhgt this so I don't remember whether it was from Auto Zone or AutoTrek. Oil Filter "F" - 25404 will works on 00R1 on and R6 filters ($3.99?). I use that to torque to specification and use a strap type filter wrench to take it off.

·
Registered
66 Posts
They sell the oil filter wrench tool at walmart... 2.96.. and it fits a standard 3/8 inch socket.. Satisfaction and money back Guarantee.. Have one for my bike and my car..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts