Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a quick question.

Which oil filters are you using???

How long are they?? (i.e. 2.5 inch or 3.25 inches)??

I have a 2004 R6 and am about to do the first change but want to get the supplies before I bust her open. I am really looking for the info above to see if I can fit the 3.25 inch filter in .... Any replies will be appreciated..

here are some links with good info on oil and filters, since we talk about it soooo much here...

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

http://www.sportbikeguy.com/garage/bookshelf/oilinfo.html

·
Registered
144 Posts
I suggest getting a Yamaha OEM filter. They are made specifically for your bike. Not universal among many bikes. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
make sure you get an oil filter wrench, those things are a bitch to get off.

i ended up jamming a screw driver through my filter to pry that bitch off.

·
Registered
409 Posts
cant go wrong with factory parts i suggest yamaha filter

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok guys,

This is just an update on my question.

I did end up bying the supertech wal-mart filter for $1.97 + tax. It was about half an inch longer but fit like the original.

I bought the oil filter tool at Wal-mart for $2.96--worked so good I bought one for my car. It works with a standard 3/8 socket wrench.

I am doing a non-conventional break in-- so I am using 10w-40 automobile oil.

Total thing cost less than $10 bucks and I took her for a spin.. No temp problems or unusual sounds/behavior. I hope this helps those of you that have been reading this post. for extra info read the links above..

Thanks for the input guys.... :cheers

·
Registered
836 Posts
I switched over from the OEM Yamaha filter to a Car-Quest brand filter based on the recommendation of a mechanic.

After tearing apart the OEM filter, and then the CarQuest... I personally feel that the OEM is not up to standard. At least compared to the assembly quality of other OEM parts I am used to (Toyota especially).

When you consider that some shops charge as much as $14 for an OEM filter, I would expect it to be better than the K&N... let alone a CarQuest one.

FYI... I get my filters free from a sponsor, but I wouldn't run them if I thought they weren't good for my engine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
got a 2004 and right at my first oil change (75 km's) i threw on a scott's oil filter. these are reusable - i like to do whatever work i can on my bike so i thought this mod would pay for itself overtime. the filter comes with a little magnet which will attract any metal shavings that are circulating in ur oil, especially if ur bike is brand new all the parts are breaking in so it's normal to find metal flakes from the parts breaking-in and whatever the factory tech's didn't clean out - i like this feature as the oil is like blood for ur bike. if it's dirty or u got metal shavings circulating in ur engine u are potentially causing damage as minute as it may seem. compound that overtime and you get the picture. it comes with it's own filter wrench which fits over ur standard socket wrench. i just did my 2nd oil change (925 km's) - i eye-balled the oil and it seemed to be debris-free. the magnet did it's job and attracted metal shavings from my engine. at first glance it looked like dirt but upon closer inpection realized it was metal from the internals. i'm very anal about my bike and want it perfect so i'll be cleaning the oil filter every oil change - others change their oil filters every 2nd oil change, to each their own.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If it only attracts metal shavings because of the magnet...how does it stick the dirt and other particles to the filter? Also, how do you clean it out...you open it up and clean it how, and makes it a big mess?

I am interested, but am using K&N right now...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Carstens, ur correct - the magnet will only attract metal particles but the filter is still a funtional oil filter in that it filters oil. there's a stainless steel mesh insert inside the oil filter which has the magnet on top. the oil from the engine passes through this outer mesh/magnet area then flows through the stainless screen area and into the engine. any non-metal particles will get trapped before the oil enters the engine again by the screen. to clean the instructions say to use ordinary dish washing soap or kerosene. i prefer the kerosene cuz i like the smell :mrgreen: ...but i got it around all the time cuz i do clean my chain with it too. it doesn;t really make a mess...i clean it in a small plastic bin with the kerosene then dispose of the used kerosene/oil mixture into a jug and just bring it down to the garage when i get my oil changed in my cage.

this is proly a bad description but i don't have any pics. i'll take some pics next time i do an oil change.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, I was on vacation, but thanks for the details...I went to scotts online and it showed some things...but I would like to see the pics from an actual user!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I wouldn't buy any automotive products from Wal-Mart and put them on a brand new motorcycle. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah quik Im with you... I have never been a believer in the straight OEM parts if there is not evidence to back up that it is truly worth the additional money or less money if applicable.

some believe that the more you spend the better the quality -- this is usually not the case...

The links you provided coupled with the links I have above (I think) , provide compelling evidence to the contrary.

I would never do anything I thought would be damaging to my new bike but I am also not going to let Yamaha dry tunnel me :hump Just cause I love the R6...

I do a lot of reading about how oil, filters, heat and the like affect your engine and I believe that some of the best stuff out there is probably made for some other applications(i.e. Mobile 1 is for cars, right???well I will still put it in my bike because of the excellent quality and durability as a lubricant)

Looking at this post I will say thats my 6 cents cause its so damn long :hammer

·
Registered
443 Posts

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
i have always used system1 type oil filters for my race cars. but never found one small enough to use on my bike. so whats the part numbers for the carquest or other filters?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts