Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 R6
I noticed oil (small amount, finger tip size) on my lower left fairing yesterday. I did my oil change about 300 miles ago so it bothered me a little. I wiped it clean and checked for leaks...found no leaks at the plug or filter. Rode home (30 miles) checked again and there was oil in the same place again. Traced it to the two breather tubes by the filter. If they are crankcase breather hoses then oil coming out would be normal...My question is does anyone know how much oil is normal. My oil level is just past center of the "okay" area so it doesn't appear overfilled. The oil coming out is very clean. Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In January I purchased a new 07 R6s, and finally had the chance to get it out on the road last week. After work each day I noticed oil on the ground near the sidestand, which was coming from one of the hoses. Upon preparing for the first oil change (after 120 miles) I noticed that the oil was WAY overfilled... It coated nearly the entire dipstick, well above the "full" mark. I called the dealer to find out what problems this could cause (especially during engine break-in), and was told that Yamaha fills the oil in the factory, and that at worst case oil could penetrate into the airbox, and seep out through the breather lines. I had less seepage after the oil change, but I'm still waiting to see if it stops now (once the airbox empties?). The dealer tech doesn't think it's a cause for concern, but if the leaking doesn't quit then I'm definitely gonna have the bike looked at!

If anyone has any advice I'd be much appreciative!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.