Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just bought a 2013 r6. It has 300 miles on it and when I talked to the sales man he said it still has the factory brake in oil.

I was always told to change the oil once a year.

Should I change the oil now or wait until the 600 mile service?

Also I had to ride the bike some 100 miles how. Did this cause any damage to the engine?

·
Yamaha 4 Life
514 Posts
Change the oil. That stuff is old, and despite the limited miles it's seen, it will no longer be as effective as fresh oil and is also probability acidic.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Won't be damaged but should be changed. If it's at a dealer tell them to throw in a oil change. It's the least they can do.
It's a bit late for that unfortunately! Should I change it with normal oil or fully synthetic? I'm guessing I should change the oil now and then again at the 600 mile mark?

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
put whatever oil you are going to use in it. No need to observe any "break in" schedule.
Synthetic is definitely recommended.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright then I guess I have an oil change to do tomorrow.

Its reassuring to know nothing has been damaged! I want this bike to last me for hundreds of thousands of miles to come :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
I want this bike to last me for hundreds of thousands of miles to come :)

That's a long way! I just want my bike to last at the race I go to and that never ends up happening!

But the oil deal, I guess I haven't really dealt with "old oil" before, but in cars when mine sit for 2 years I start the bastards up and run them. Of course the r6 is different then cars.... If the engine was a broken in one, I wouldn't worry about it. But for a new engine with no change. I honesty would've changed it before the service time. A lot of shavings get everywhere in a new engine. The break in is the most important part for durability and lifetime.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want this bike to last me for hundreds of thousands of miles to come

That's a long way! I just want my bike to last at the race I go to and that never ends up happening!

But the oil deal, I guess I haven't really dealt with "old oil" before, but in cars when mine sit for 2 years I start the bastards up and run them. Of course the r6 is different then cars.... If the engine was a broken in one, I wouldn't worry about it. But for a new engine with no change. I honesty would've changed it before the service time. A lot of shavings get everywhere in a new engine. The break in is the most important part for durability and lifetime.
Yeah, and a new engine is about $2000 not including the labor :(

Is there anyway I can tell in which shape the engine is now?

·
Yamaha 4 Life
514 Posts
The oil is old, but I honestly wouldnt be too concerned about it with miles that low. Just do an oil change and ride her. If you hear any weird noises or the bike is not performing as expected, than it may be time to have a closer look at things.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The oil is old, but I honestly wouldnt be too concerned about it with miles that low. Just do an oil change and ride her. If you hear any weird noises or the bike is not performing as expected, than it may be time to have a closer look at things.
That's the thing about Yamaha bikes! Every r6 ive owned made ticking noises and all sorts of other strange noises.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Dude you're over thinking it. Just ride it. The oil is still brown so you're golden. I've drained out such black oil out of my bikes and it's still fine. If t was run for a few thousand miles with no change from being a new motor, I would be worried. I've done 8 track days on oil changes before. It still runs fine. Haven't adjusted any valves or anything. These motors are freaking bulletproof. And are somewhat designed to handle stupid people who don't change there oil. Being only a few hundred miles, stop worrying and go have fun with the new bike! Wish i could ride mine on the street again:/

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
Haha yeah I guess its rather silly. Is there anyway I can tell by feeling the oil just how poor condition it was in? Should I perhaps take a sample of the oil to a shop and ask their opinion?
If it tastes like toasted pine nuts than it still has some life left. If it tastes like burnt toast you let it go too long. Be careful not to swallow any, just swish it around like you are wine tasting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts