Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
yarrrrrrrg 6
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 r6, theres oil in my intake box
25k miles
k&n air filter put on about 15k ago and the sob that put it on striped one of the lower bolts.

after doing my spark plugs i noticed the intake doesnt fit properly on the casing.

theres oil on the same side thats missing the bolt, pretty heavy layer of it near my throttle bodies, and a pool of it in the bolts holding down the throttle bodies.

any idea's whats going on or suggestions to try and mend the problem would be appreciated.

btw im planning on getting a gytr intake so hopefully it fits right. and replace the missing bolts that are on that side.

thanks again

~hydouk

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
it could be because of a few things.
1. oil might of been too high and got sucked in from the crank case vent hose
actually it's normal for some oil to come from here as it's a vapor and then condenses back to a liquid inside the tube
2. someone over oiled the filter
3. bike might have been on it's side once.

really depends how much oil we're talking. if it's just a little puddle or wet I wouldn't worry too much over it. maybe clean it out and keep an eye on it.

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
That is normal. the PCV vents into the air box. There will be oil vapors that go into the air box. This helps with top end ring sealing and helps collect dust before it gets into the engine. There is nothing to worry about.

Next time you do some major work on your fuel injected car, take a look in the intake and you will see a very large amount of black film that covers the entire inside of the intake. This is from the oil vapors and the way the valves seal. perfectly normal either way.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
luke the pcv is a crankase venting system. it has to or your engine will spew it's guts out lol
seriously though all engines have to be vented like this or vented somehow. it will keep it from blowing out seals from the pressures that build up inside of it while it's running.

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
So top cap things up for the OP. The PCV or Positive Crankcase Ventilation vents the crank case to keep pressures in the crankcase at " normal " levels. It usually vents into the intake air box. Venting into the air box for whatever reason helps with making the rings seal better and preventing blowby. Some will also vent into the exhaust system or simply into the atmosphere via an oil catch vent. In either case it is normal for there to be oil residue present in the air box. Enough so that it will even pool up. It is probably heavier on the left or clutch side of the bike due to the fact that the bike leans that way when propped up on it's kickstand.

·
yarrrrrrrg 6
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is probably heavier on the left or clutch side of the bike due to the fact that the bike leans that way when propped up on it's kickstand.
it was heavier on the left/clutch side, so im going to write this one off. thanks a bunch for the info guys i really appreciate it.

woot woot, its not going to self destruct! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts