Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have an 07 R6 with 10,000 miles. I recently noticed a fine spray of oil from the right side after riding, the seal around the clutch cover becomes wet looking with oil seeping out and a fine mist on the frame/exhaust.
I have bought a new gasket for the clutch cover and intend to fit it this week. From reading the forum it looks like a blocked crankcase breather hose could cause this? Once i have lifted the tank etc, how do I check if it’s blocked?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
People manage to burn up clutches even within several k. Possible someone may have been in it already and just didn't clean off the old gasket material well enough for a good seal with the new one.

These engines keep their oil pretty damned clean; even when they're out of tune and fouling the plugs. Unless someone has been taking things apart and incorrectly reassembling, I doubt the crankcase breather is blocked.

The thick hose running off the back of the air cleaner, almost straight down to the top of the engine is probably the breather hose. Not sure how it's setup internally but can look at the exploded diagrams at 2007 Yamaha YFZ-R6 (YZFR6W) Crankcase | Ron Ayers to see how it's setup. But it just lists the part as a "cover". I'd expect there to be some sort of reed valve there at a minimum, but perhaps it is just open; in which case you can just fish a wire down there to verify that there's no buildup of any kind.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Intuit.

I have had the bike since 2,000 miles and have never opened the clutch cover so presume the gaskets just gone bad. I will have a look at the breather and change the gasket and see if that fixes it.

cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I fitted a new gasket, the leak is still there but a bit worse. I torqued to spec in a star pattern, but the leak seems to be coming from the two bolts at the top and top left. Any ideas on how to fix? Can the bolts be sealed?

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Usually that's a surface prep issue. If there's any residue on the surfaces the gasket won't seal. If there are any gouges or scrapes the gasket might not have enough depth to seal. No choice but to use gasket maker on the mating surfaces.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts